Talk

Advanced search

Toxoplasmosis immunity what does it mean?

(8 Posts)
timmette Fri 26-Jun-09 10:05:19

I had blood tests done that said I am immune to toxoplasmosis and I am 12 weeks - does this mean I am ok to eat things like Pate etc. Does anyone know more? Thanks

AMumInScotland Fri 26-Jun-09 10:41:14

Toxoplasmosis is the one that is associated with cat poo, and also live lambs, though you can also sometimes get it from unwashed fruit and salad, or handling raw meat. So you don't have to be too paranoid about cats and gardening.

But the other things you are meant to avoid in pregnancy, like pate (can contain listeria), raw eggs (salmonella), and whatever else is on the list these days will still be a threat, so you need to be just as careful with those as any other pregnant woman.

HTH

sifuentes Fri 26-Jun-09 14:37:29

Hi timette - I am immune too - yay us
essentially - the main thing that it means is that you don't have to worry about getting it and all the awful things that can happen to your baby if you do xx

sifuentes Fri 26-Jun-09 14:38:38

you can't eat pate cos of vitamin A (it's made from liver) but you don't need to worry so much about steaks being cooked all the way through or salads being washed although to be honest the crap that is on a supermarket bagged salad - you'd want to wash it first anyway.

timmette Fri 26-Jun-09 15:33:22

Thanks for that - was really hoping it meant pate was ok - but i'll settle for steaks grin.

sifuentes Fri 26-Jun-09 16:04:27

and parma ham and salami

mm mmm

Cies Fri 26-Jun-09 16:08:51

I'm immune too smile It's great to be able to eat cured ham and chorizo and not to worry so much about washing fruit and vegetables.

But do still be careful about listeria and salmonella.

SpawnChorus Fri 26-Jun-09 16:11:49

envy

I'm NOT immune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now