Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How careful are you about observing pregnancy rules? i.e. food, lifestyle etc

(92 Posts)
flyingcloud Thu 25-Jun-09 20:16:02

I know it's a case of weighing up the risks, but coming on MN scares me sometimes! Today I read that dying my hair and eating chinese food are bad. I just wondered what experienced mothers' individual takes on this were. My friends are split between the strictly observant ones (no caffeine, no chocolate and not a snifter of alcohol) and the ones who don't really bother to find out what to do and what not to do, so eat pâté, drink a glass when they feel like, dye their hair, fly as late as they can, etc, etc.

I have done the following while pregnant, mostly unwittingly: not knowing I'm pregnant or not knowing it wasn't allowed and I'm feeling increasingly guilty:
Drink coffee (one cup a day, can't do without)
Eat chocolate
Have eaten steak tartare before knowing I was pregnant
Drank like a fish for the first two weeks (when I didn't know I was pg) blush
Smoked for the first two weeks (ditto)blush
Eaten packaged service station sandwiches
Dyed my hair
Eaten chinese food, undoubtedly stuffed with msg

etc, etc

I am not immune to toxoplasmosis either.

You may think I'm stupid for asking all these questions, but would love some real motherhood experiences.

Thank you!

WowOoo Thu 25-Jun-09 20:21:58

Um, I'm more like the people who think a little bit of what you fancy does you good.

I was fairly relaxed with ds1 and he's turned out OK.

Soemtimes, I honestly didn't think and had lots of sushi or smoked salmon but i always inspect my food closely and if it's off I would not have touched it.

Eggs and steak too, but only good quality stuff. (what a snob)

Do what you feel safe and comfy doing and weigh up the risks then.

Congrats!

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 25-Jun-09 20:22:59

chinese food is a new one to me. Since when has that been bad?

<put's away the takeaway menu...>

I follow the ones about pate, uncooked/unpasturised eggs etc. I am more careful with washing salads. I don't eat peanuts as we have ezcema in the family.

I drink one cup of full caffiene tea a day and would eat chocolate if I hadnt gone off it grin

I don't drink, but I'm not really a drinker anyway so don't miss it.

I generally have quite a healthy diet anyway.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 25-Jun-09 20:24:12

blush excuse the rouge apostrophe in "put's".. it's pregnancy brain wink

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 25-Jun-09 20:24:44

and I can't even spell rogue blush blush

pooka Thu 25-Jun-09 20:27:38

I am 30 weeks pregnant with third.

Am v. relaxed about diet. Limited caffiene in the first 3 months, but have gradually upped intake, since less of miscarriage risk.

Readily and willingly eat pre-packed sandwiches. Have had brie. Have had a glass of wine now and then. Will be having my hair dyed in a few weeks (not new colour type/salon, so know that don't react adversely and never have before).

gussymooloo Thu 25-Jun-09 20:30:10

Whats wrong with dying your hair when pregnant?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Jun-09 20:35:46

Message withdrawn

CurryMaid Thu 25-Jun-09 20:37:54

What's wrong with chocolate?

CurryMaid Thu 25-Jun-09 20:39:09

Oh, and to answer the question I cut out: caffeine (except in chocolate!), painkillers, alcohol, soft cheese, runny eggs, pate etc.

CurryMaid Thu 25-Jun-09 20:39:37

Ooh yes, artificial sweeteners, I cut out those too.

fizzpops Thu 25-Jun-09 20:54:26

Is smoked salmon bad? I wondered and so avoided it but could never find anywhere that specifically said yay or nay.

I probably had too much caffeine, two cups of coffee a day and more chocolate than was probably good for me but I didn't see much anything advising me to stop entirely - just in moderation.

I had no alcohol at all - can never just have one so had none at all.

Was careful with eggs, cheese and fish, but thought the bagged salad advice was silly till I realised it was about toxoplasmosis.

Currymaid - painkillers as in paracetamol? I had four horrendous colds and it was only the thought of allowing myself another 2 paracetamol before bed that got me through them...

itsalwaysthequietones Thu 25-Jun-09 20:56:26

I'm a 'little bit of what you fancy does you good' kind of person. Only thing I adhere strictly to is the listeria stuff (soft cheese, pate etc) - Have the occasional glass of wine, coffee, dye my hair, eat seafood (from reliable sources)

maxbear Thu 25-Jun-09 20:56:28

huh? brocolli and other veg that do harm??? Since when exactly?

minxofmancunia Thu 25-Jun-09 20:58:23

I'm pg with number 2

I have 3 cups of normal tea a day (although no caffeine for the 1st 3 months)

Veggie, so meat/fish rules not an issue

Eat cooked brie/stilton/goats cheese and have had the odd cold slice of brie especially when on holiday in France recently

Eat M&S and Boots pre-packed sandwiches plus bagged salads (wash them first).

Drink 2-4 glasses of wine a week, no more than 1 at once, this is my biggest weakness and has been the hardest struggle (no alcolhol for 1 st 3 months tho).

Have read a lot and weighed up the risks and these are the choices I've made. Have had a stressful pg (work and study wise)and the wine helps me relax and sleep, so be it.

itsalwaysthequietones Thu 25-Jun-09 20:58:27

Oh and the stuff about chinese food and chocolate is completely new to me. And I ate smoked salmon too.

CurryMaid Thu 25-Jun-09 20:59:20

Fizzpops, I used to take nurofen but stopped as I think it's an NSAID which can be a miscarriage risk.

Just didn't bother taking paracetomol instead - until I went into labour, then I took a couple, followed by some hardcore anaesthesia!

preggersplayspop Thu 25-Jun-09 20:59:28

They invent new rules all the time! Never heard the ones about chinese takeaways and pre packaged sandwiches and it wouldn't enter my head that they would be a risk. In fact I had an egg mayo sarnie today from a service station and it doesn't worry me (perhaps it would if I understood what the risk was).

I eat mayo where its obvious its from a jar. I try to stick to one diet coke a day, and feel a little guilty if I have 2. Giving up chocolate wasn't something I thought about, though I have gone off it a bit.

I don't drink, but for my first pregnancy I did go on an all day session when I was probably a week or two pregnant. I tortured myself reading horror stories on the internet until the midwife set my mind at rest and told me not to worry about it.

Not sure what I think about peanuts, I've read conflicting things about it. I don't eat them but I never really did, and if it was in my food then I would probably eat it and not be too concerned about it.

I don't have painkillers but never really needed to - would have paracetamol if I needed them. I make sure my eggs are well cooked, as well as my meat.

preggersplayspop Thu 25-Jun-09 21:02:15

Oh gawd, is brie bad? I've been eating brie and tomato sandwiches for lunch loads recently!

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Jun-09 21:06:47

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Jun-09 21:08:50

Message withdrawn

itsalwaysthequietones Thu 25-Jun-09 21:10:49

minx - out of interest, why did you avoid alcohol completely during the first 12 weeks? Is it thought to carry more of a risk then? I've heard a couple of people suggest that but wasn't sure what it was based on.

giraffescantdancethetango Thu 25-Jun-09 21:12:59

I follow the rules religiously - but then thats because I have lost 3 and so will try anything to make a baby stick.

bigchris Thu 25-Jun-09 21:15:07

i was quite relaxed with coffee and wine but my mum ate brie when preggers with me and i had listeria when i was born, not pleasant so please be careful

preggersplayspop Thu 25-Jun-09 21:19:11

bigchris, just googled brie and its off the menu for me from now on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now