Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chinese takeaway - should I ignore the books and go for chicken balls?

(15 Posts)
NigellaTufnel Thu 25-Jun-09 18:49:54

Really could murder sweet and sour chicken balls (classy, I know).

But various books would have me believe that MSG is as bad as anthrax.

Has anyone else induldged in such a takeaway? Is it much worse than the curry we have every week?

I'm 20 weeks btw

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 25-Jun-09 18:53:36

i had chinese, inc chicken balls and sweet n sour sauce. I did not know msg was horrendous in pg from books, but from this experience! As i ate it, it did not feel right, and i promptly threw it all up and continued to do so until my body was sure it was all gone and then some more. I have been really sick this pg, but the chinese gave me the most serious vomiting episode of all the food that made me sick (most of it).

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 25-Jun-09 18:54:50

I wouldn't as even though the chances are everything would be fine it wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't. I am thinking food poisoning here.

I did everything by the book with DC1.

Baisey Thu 25-Jun-09 20:03:31

Bloody hell... I craved Sweet and sour chicken balls when I was pregnant with DS. Ate them till they came out of my ears...
mind you this time round the one chinese takeaway I did have didnt stay down very long!

McSnail Thu 25-Jun-09 20:05:28

You can actually ask for no MSG. My friend did this when she phoned an order through, and they said. 'No problem'.

Hormonesnomore Thu 25-Jun-09 20:49:07

I'm not pregnant, but msg gives me the most unpleasant side effects. As soon as I've finished eating food containing it, my head feels as if it's being tightly squeezed, which is then followed by a headache which lasts about 2 days.

I now know which restaurants/takeaways use a lot of it & avoid them - if I were you, I'd certainly ask about it before you buy any food.

Sheeta Thu 25-Jun-09 20:49:55

Always go right for the balls...

maxbear Thu 25-Jun-09 20:53:05

Maybe best to avoid eating chinese every night, but why not indulge sometimes, it won't do you any harm. As for food poisoning, why would you get them from a chinese anymore than any other restaurant food, you can't wrap yourself in cotton wool the whole time. Have fun and enjoy a treat. smile

Sheeta Thu 25-Jun-09 20:59:44

have to say, I did avoid my local chinese when pg as got food poisoning from them twice.

Once we moved it was a different story.
MMM... now I was Chicken chow mein.

damn you krapotkin!

NigellaTufnel Thu 25-Jun-09 21:26:50

We had fish and chips.

Not bad...

ash6605 Tue 30-Jun-09 10:39:24

sorry,but whats MSG?

Portofino Tue 30-Jun-09 11:01:09

My main craving was for sweet and sour prawn balls! I succumbed frequently. I never read anything about not eating MSG but this was a few years ago.

LeninGrad Tue 30-Jun-09 11:35:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

helips Tue 30-Jun-09 13:23:43

I'm on my second pregnancy and have never heard of MSG being one of the foods to avoid, in fact I had a chinese takeaway last weekend! What about other foods containing MSG? Should we be avoiding crisps too? I find all these lists of things we can't eat are getting more and more ridiculous and even though when pregnant with ds I followed all the rules, this time I'm much more relaxed with what I eat. Everything in moderation!

mumsiebumsie Tue 30-Jun-09 14:12:03

If you're worried about the harm it could do then it's almost not worth having as you probably won't enjoy it anyway.

I'm dying for Diet Coke (lived on it pre-pregnancy and during the first few weeks of not knowing I was pregnant) but am now steering clear of Asparteme - I know that if I indulged I'd just feel guilty so don't see the point if you catch my drift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now