Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is it ok to dye your hair while pregnant?

(15 Posts)
pambaby Thu 25-Jun-09 06:41:02

im 23 weeks and i want to color my hair.. some say its ok, some are stopping me as it will affect the baby.... hmm

WowOoo Thu 25-Jun-09 06:54:23

I was told it was OK after 1st trimester.

Am soon to pop and still haven't got it done though...just out of busy-ness not as I was worried.

Ask your hairdresser too.

CoteDAzur Thu 25-Jun-09 07:04:34

Highlights - totally fine
Overall color - possibly fine. Ask what it contains - natural (ex: henna-based) or does it have ammonia? in any case, if you can color your hair without touching the roots, no problems.

Baisey Thu 25-Jun-09 08:23:23

I dont think its anything to do with effecting the baby, its more because your hair changes during pregnancy, it can become alot more porous and for example alot of people often say their hair is thicker. But it can work both ways sometimes peoples hair gets dryer or greasier so a hair dye that suited you before can have a completely different affect when pregnant, so its best to be cautious and take care.

MamaLazarou Thu 25-Jun-09 09:58:51

Chemicals in hair dyes have not been sufficiently tested in order to completely rule out damage to the foetus, so most docs say it's best not to risk it.

I dyed mine yesterday with a vegetable dye from Lush. The results were very good, although it was messy and took ages.

jobo87 Thu 25-Jun-09 10:06:22

hi ya im a hairdresser an pregnant with my 2nd child i dyed my hair all through my 1st pregnancy and everything was fine but havent in this pregnancy if your going to colour your hair id say have it done in the salon you dont want to colour your hair and it come out a diffrent colour if that any help

bubblagirl Thu 25-Jun-09 10:08:50

its not the chemicals its the hormone change you could have same color you always have but your hair could go green or break off

its too risky as you never know how your hair would react could also have allergic reaction even though your normally always ok

you could go for henna type color but if bleach has been used previously then you cant

only other option if have it bleached would be have test strand done and go half head not full head

bubblagirl Thu 25-Jun-09 10:11:51

i did have mine bleached in pregnancy did have the strand done and was ok but opted half head on there advise and was fine

did actually burn more than usual though again could have been the hormones my hair was more porous follicles more open i wouldn't have handled full head its also the after care though your hair could start breaking away normally hairdresser would get you to sign and say you agree to have hair done knowing the risks so you cant go back and say my hair ifs falling out etc

pambaby Thu 25-Jun-09 12:11:42

thanks to all.. i will have to check in the salon if they'll color my hair or not, i am afraid to take the risk though... or id rather wait til i deliver the baby...

brightonbleach Thu 25-Jun-09 18:28:46

i was told 'not in 1st trimester, fine after that, best to have it done in a salon as home dyes can go a funny colour when pregnant' - I didn't touch mine for the first 4 months & looked pretty awful (was diagnosed with early diabetes as well which probably contributed) then have had a fab expensive haircut & colour and now everyone tells me how 'blooming' i look, am sure its just the nice haircut!! my gp told me no risk really after 1st trimester, only be careful if you were having all-over bleach. feels nice to have good hair again, even if none of my clothes fit....

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 25-Jun-09 18:32:13

I actually get mine done in the salon using all foils so as to avoid chemicals touching my hair. It was their suggestion, and they do not charge more for it.

So i have all my head dyed using hundred and hundred of foils, hours of pampering and lots of gossip mags! (it is dyed brown, to cover grey, with blonde lights through the front, so brown foils all over with the lights in foils as normal).

Hope that makes sense. it meant I got the hair I wanted without the fear or risk. Even though I was told no risk after 1st trimester I have not read anything which confirms no risk, only that there is nothing proved.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 25-Jun-09 18:35:01

'...so as to avoid chemicals touching my scalp' not ^hair* blush

luckylam81 Thu 25-Jun-09 22:08:37

Hi im also a hairdresser pregnant with my 2nd baby,i work with a very reputable brand of colour (one if the biggest) and they say its fine to colour a pregnant womans hair at anytime of pregnancy,i think in this day an age of people getting sued left right and centre they wouldn't say this unless it was correct,however i personally wouldn't choose an all over colour ie painted on the scalp,i agree with pavlov that its defo safer to have it in foills then its not being absorbed into your scalp then into your blood stream,which personally i'd be scared of the chemicals crossing over to the baby,i think there are lots of conflicting views on this and i have many clients who have all over colours throughout there pregnancy and have perfectly healthy babies!

PacificDogwood Thu 25-Jun-09 22:10:37

Yes, hair dye is safe at any stage in pregnancy.

I would love to know where this idea that it is NOT safe comes from. This question seems to be asked rather frequently.

JoPie Sun 28-Jun-09 14:23:48

If it was possible for the chemicals to be absorbed into your bloodstream, that would be a bad thing for anyone. pregnant or not. Its complete rubbish though, as its not possible.

Maybe we should all get one of those bubbles to live in and not eat drink or do anything at all while pregnant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now