Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which pushchair to buy??? Help!

(16 Posts)
SabsBigPants Wed 24-Jun-09 19:00:09

I'm nearly 27 weeks pregnant with my first baby and due to start shopping so need to buy EVERYTHING!

The type of pushchair I would like to buy is to be forward-facing when the baby is born, which I can then have facing outwards later on.

I also want the option to be able to put a car-seat in the pushchair and have all of this without breaking the bank.

Also can I buy a car-seat first and then buy the pushchair which can hold the car-seat later or do I need to buy it all together?

Its all so confusing, so I would appreciate any advice! Thanks

MrsJamin Wed 24-Jun-09 19:05:41

Firstly, you DON'T need to buy everything! I'd buy as little as possible (even though it's tempting I know). Buy the basics and you then have to remember that Mothercare/ Tescos will still be open after you have the baby- and you'll have a much better idea of what you need as opposed to what you think you might want.

By the way do you mean you want a rear-facing one to begin with? Forward facing and facing outwards mean the same things. You might want to ask the pushchair thread ladies as they know a lot about buggies - it's in the product section. I wouldn't recommend a pushchair which takes a car-seat though, babies should be as flat as possible when they are born and car-seats aren't, so they shouldn't be in them for too long. The pushchairs that go with carseats are often v cumbersome and I've seen a lot of friends ditch them once they've stopped using the carseat on it.

SabsBigPants Wed 24-Jun-09 19:08:28

sorry yes thats what i meant blush, to be facing me first, and then facing outwards later on...

differentID Wed 24-Jun-09 19:10:52

Car seat first! you really don't need the car seat to clip onto the pushchair at all- and it isn't recommended any more either, although it is convenient.

You might get a deal if you buy it all together, but making sure you have the best car seat you can afford to fit your car is a must.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 24-Jun-09 19:13:01

If you are on a budget you can buy a pushchair/travel system from ebay or the local paper, and then buy the carseat from new to go with it. We did this and saved £100s of £s.

And yes you can defintely buy the car seat first, and the decide on the pushchair you want/need afterwards, as long as it fits the car seat. If you are planning on using a carrier/sling of some sort, you might find you won't need a pushchair at all until baby is old enough for a stroller, or that you use it so rarely you don't mind it being forward facing for the limited time you do. I know with DD we hardly used the pushchair at all and did not warrant spending loads of money on it.

Baby needs somewhere to sleep, some clean clothes and a lot of love! If you are bf'ing and intending to express, you will need a pump, bottles and steriliser of some kind. If you are bottle feeding you will need bottles and steriliser. Somewhere to keep cleaning stuff such as a baby changing table, but that is not essential. A box will suffice, just to store it all in.

You might be best to wait until after baby is born to buy lots of things as you just might not use half of it.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 24-Jun-09 19:14:30

obviously I say 'as long as it fits the car seat' presuming you want it as a travel system. If you don't mind, it does not have to be the same grin

chaya5738 Wed 24-Jun-09 19:32:28

Well the Bugaboo Bee fits a car seat and isn't cumbersome at all. It also faces forward and towards you and can be used from birth.

I think a buggie that fits a car seat is an excellent idea. It saves having to take a car seat AND an entire buggie when traveling. And you don't have to leave the baby in their all day. My understanding is that provided you take the baby out ever hour or so for a stretch then they are fine

alana39 Wed 24-Jun-09 20:09:05

Get to a big Mothercare or John Lewis and try a load out. If you have a reasonably local shop that stocks a good range look there too.

But - most importantly, plan to go on one day just to look, not to buy. Then you can decide and look to buy your chosen pushchair on line, you will almost certainly save money, even if you don't buy on e-bay there are internet sellers like Kiddicare with a huge range and good discounts.

As others have said a lie flat pushchair is better than one a car seat goes onto - if you are planning to use alot. Make sure it's easy to put up and down and fits into the space you have to store at home / in the car - more important than looks!

LoveActually Wed 24-Jun-09 20:19:07

Hi Sabs, By 27 weeks I didn't have anything so don't worry. I now have a five month old DD and have found the APple iCandy totally brillant. It's not cheap tho, however if you get the special edition you get the carrycot (pram base) plus buggy plus loads of nice extras like a nappy changing bag, cosy toes etc. You can also slot in the Maxi Cosi Cabrio fix car seat.
I also bought the jogging wheel - you can take out the front two wheels and insert when you want to go off road. I have found it great for shopping too, all my friends comment on how big the basket is. I do lots of walking and shopping and we have some hills in the village where I live. Plus it looks nice. Only thing is it's a bit bulky. Thing is, this is my opinion but I did really research buggies and prams before hand. You are still best going to MC or JL as Alana says.

LoveActually Wed 24-Jun-09 20:19:43

Oh and you can buy it cheaper on eBay but would road test it in John Lewis first!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 24-Jun-09 20:28:55

loveactually i did that! I picked the one I liked the look of after testing it in shops and then saw it for sale in local paper!

alana39 Wed 24-Jun-09 20:35:43

One of the ones I'm interested in is cheaper online, then I found it even cheaper in a local shope - albeit in hideous colours and still not sure how much I care about that! Anyway as Pavlov says worth looking at local papers / checking out small shops as sometimes they can surprise you.

Baisey Wed 24-Jun-09 20:47:50

You could go for the Mothercare MyChoice, Its both forward and rear facing. You get the whole thing, chassis, a carrycot that converts into a seat, hoods etc for somewhere around £350 then you have the option to fix a maxicosi infant carseat onto it if you want to. It also folds down quite compact.

mummygogo Thu 25-Jun-09 18:05:55

I tell this to all my friends who are pregnant with their first child. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO BUY A TRAVEL SYSTEM. Invariably they are expensive, really heavy, massive and not practical.

Everyone who I know that has bought one has struggled to get it in the car because of its size or weight. They look very nice with all the matching bits and bobs but you really can't beat a Maclaren from a couple of months in. Actually Maclaren also do one suitable from newborn

PracticalCat Thu 25-Jun-09 20:58:27

LOVED my travel system. It was so convenient to click a sleeping ds from car to pushchair - I miss that now that he's older. Used the Graco which wasn't as bulky or expensive,

SabsBigPants Thu 25-Jun-09 22:01:27

thanks a lot to everyone for their advice...Me and DH are going to go this weekend to places like mothercare, mama's and papa's and baby's r us, to simply have a look to see what is out there and make comparisons and then go back again another time to buy....wish us luck!

But keep the advice coming in, all very useful! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now