Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just remembered a really silly comment I had a million times back in the day when I was pregnant

(33 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Wed 24-Jun-09 18:16:14

Very pointless, DS is almost three! grin But I remembered this and wanted to chuckle over it with People Who Know.

I had hyperemesis and several people said to me many times post 12 weeks "But you are supposed to stop being sick after the first trimester!" as if I was being very naughty by ignoring the clearly written rules. I was in hospital on a drip off and on and DS was prem in the end. I used to get so annoyed when people said that to me.

One woman - who was really quite a bitch - actually said it in a disapproving voice after I was sick in a drain off the side of a pavement blush it came on me all the time it was awful.

sjbj Wed 24-Jun-09 18:47:38

Oh no! I'm 15 weeks and was hoping the sickness would stop - it did seem to slow down a bit but restarted this week with a vengence!

hereidrawtheline Wed 24-Jun-09 18:50:18

If its any consolation most people with hyperemesis have a big improvement by 20 weeks. Just not me.

But the consultant I saw said I was the worst case he'd seen in years so dont worry.

audreyraines Wed 24-Jun-09 20:26:43

i got today "i've never heard of someone STILL being sick at 29 weeks". well now you've heard of me. excellent.
i am oh so familiar with the vomiting in a drain experience!

YanknCock Wed 24-Jun-09 20:29:17

Yep, I get that 'STILL?' comment from people. It ranks right up there with 'have you tried ginger?'

Baisey Wed 24-Jun-09 20:40:56

My boss said the "surely you should of stopped being sick by now, my wife did..."

Any comments like that from him now, I just give him "The Death Glare" he has learnt to quietly back away and not talk to me for 5 minutes or so!! grin

audreyraines Wed 24-Jun-09 20:49:46

they also can't understand that if i vomit once a day that is what i call 'better' when they ask are you better?

oh yes, it's so much better than vomiting 5-8 times a day and not being able to eat.

although i'm averaging about 3-4 times a day at the moment, but oh can i eat!

audreyraines Wed 24-Jun-09 20:51:11

people also say 'i wonder when you'll stop being sick'. i usually say 'in 11 weeks when i give birth'.

audreyraines Wed 24-Jun-09 20:51:41

oh how i love a good 'rant about hyperemesis' thread.

hereidrawtheline Wed 24-Jun-09 21:07:11

audreyraines your bitterness is an inspiration to us all grin and look I have an almost 3 year old and I am still bitter!

When I told my boss I was pregnant at 6 weeks (I had to because I was already too sick to work shock) she said, totally dismayed to be losing me - "oh well its early days you might still lose it" I think she meant - dont be too upset if you do - but it came across sooooooooo wrong.

I am not trying to play hyperemesis trumps in any way but I was so horrifically bad at being pregnant I was sick 20 fucking times a day. The last month I was sick 1-3 times a day it was bliss. I just said that because I know what you mean about only once a day being a good thing. I was also sick throughout the whole labour and it stopped about 3 hours after DS was born.

I'll just leave now before I tell my birth story and send someone into early labour <<scuttles away>>

sorry blush

audreyraines Thu 25-Jun-09 06:30:52

oh i love to inspire people with my bitterness! grin
but you win herei - 20 times - that is incredible. no wonder you were in hospital. if i have to be grateful for small mercies it's that i've never seriously been at risk of dehydration, and i thank god every day that i can now eat everything and scoff chocolate and only sometimes vomit it up.
this child sure has a lot to answer for before she's even born. she better be a dream child that sleeps through from 2 weeks old or something.wink i just bet she's going to be lovely, and i'll probably be able to sign her up for mensa age 2 1/2.

apparently my grandma (dad's mum) said exactly the same thing to my mum when she was first pregnant with me. no congratultions, just 'you might lose it'. nice.

i am so looking forward to labour. bring on the pain, bring it on. just stop the vomiting!

audreyraines Thu 25-Jun-09 06:33:48

herei, maybe you can tell me your birth story at 37 weeks if you think it will bring on labour - i'm going to be chugging raspberry leaf, scoffing pineapple and having sex for england in order to inspire that baby to come out and do her own vomiting on me. grin

Baisey Thu 25-Jun-09 08:27:03

hereidrawtheline, if you have a birth inducing birth story you could make some money out of that... you could actually charge overdue mothers to hear it and hey presto they are in labour!! grin
(I will require at least 10% of all profits for my idea!)

hereidrawtheline Thu 25-Jun-09 13:14:25

audrey I love how you said "that is incredible" like I ran a bloody marathon! grin LOL I will proudly wear the hyperemesis sash.

Baisey that is a good idea!!! I wonder how I can test it out...

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 25-Jun-09 13:19:28

LOL @ hyperemesis bitterness/top trumps.

I had a doctor who did the disapproving voice thing recently a few weeks ago too - 'You're twenty-two weeks? That's rather a long time for it to go on.'
Yes, I know. That's why I am sitting here in your surgery asking for yet another prescription and sicknote. It's why it's called HYPERemesis instead of just normal morning sickness, too, in fact. hmm

I can't get enough of hearing about other people with hyperemesis. I don't know which I prefer - people who are much worse than me so I can thank my lucky stars I've never had to go to hospital with it, or people who are less bad so I don't feel like I'm making a fuss about nothing grin

Actually I think probably the best is people who say 'I had really bad morning sickness, I was sick every day for a fortnight'.

hereidrawtheline Thu 25-Jun-09 13:28:13

ugh I will never forget how my friend said once she just lay on the sofa for a whole week feeling as if she was going to be sick grin

shootfromthehip Thu 25-Jun-09 13:33:22

I stopped being sick at 30 weeks with DD and 26 ish weeks with DS (was medicated with him) and I never wished for my own death to occur as much as I did in the first 4 mths of my second pregnancy (apparently it does get worse each time <<no more babies for me emoticon>>).

I actually was refered to a shrink in my second pregnancy as I was SOOO ill that I didn't want to be pregnant any more. Don't get me wrong, I never thought about doing anything stupid but I was as miserable as I have ever been.

I remember one day when I kept drinking pint after pint of water so at least when I was sick there woud be something to come out and it would stop that muscular agony in the middle of my breastbone from the dry wretching. To be a little competitive, there was a period of about 2 weeks when I was being sick literally every 2 mins from getting out of bed to getting back in it. Oh it was utterly soul destroying. I refused hospital though and the tablets did help stop the vomiting but not the nausea.

Poor, poor you, I'm shuddering just thinking back.

Oh yeah, and to all of you who think that 2 weeks of morning sickness is 'bad', feel free to feck right off.

Did anyone else find that they literally couldn't get in a car as it made them worse? We were in France for a holiday when I was pregnant with DC2 and the car journeys were utterly horrific. I grew to dread it, but that said I've been sick in/on some very beautiful places grin

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 25-Jun-09 13:36:38

I've been sick on a lot of beaches and in some beautiful woods in the Lake District.
I am looking forward to going back there in 20 years or so and being nostalgic about it.

Every two minutes is good [impressed]

TigerFeet Thu 25-Jun-09 13:49:08

shootfromthehip I've been sick in the car countless times, I carry plastic bags with me everywhere. I can't avoid driving even when signed off work though as dd's school is too far away to walk to and there's no-one else to take her. Oh the glamour... grin especially if you don't get it all in the bag blush

I'm not sick that much any more but last week I had a particularly violent chunder that left me with pulled muscles in my chest... I was in agony for days.

Oh I could ramble on for hours, soooo many stories grin

audreyraines Thu 25-Jun-09 15:10:31

sorry, herei, you might need to pass the sash onto shootfrom! wink every 2 minutes!! your dc's must be exceptionally clever according to some articles i've read recently linking pregnancy sickness and child IQ. Just a load of bs probably, but i spose we need something to cling onto.

christ, after listening to you guys now i feel like i'm banging out about nothing, a mere 8 days a day vomiting, what on earth was i complaining about! hell, i'm gonna pull myself back together and have another 10 kids just to teach myself a lesson!

audreyraines Thu 25-Jun-09 15:12:21

god, my tired sick pregnant brain can't write either.

banging on
8 times a day

shootfromthehip Thu 25-Jun-09 16:58:03

Just read my message back and I look like I'm badly exaggerating blush but I really was sick and sick and sick at one point. Obviously it couldn't really have been every 2 minutes for 16 hrs a day (it sure felt like it though) but from mid- morning until after dinner it was consistantly terrible. On a more positive note I did lose all the stubborn baby weight I couldn't shift from DD (10lbs in 2 weeks) but put it all back on and several stone more when I could eat again. grin

claireybee Thu 25-Jun-09 17:09:23

Yep I had that too. And so many people said things like "oh I had really bad morning sickness, I felt like I was going to throw up every day" Try actually puking at least once an hour day and night for 22 weeks angry

hereidrawtheline Thu 25-Jun-09 18:01:05

audrey and shootfromthehip I am not handing over my sash! I started the thread so there <<sticking tongue out>>

Oh and audrey - I dont think it is bullshit. My DS is 3 in August and he is a genius! Really he is. His vocab is that of a much much older child, he plays guitar and writes his own songs, and most telling, he says he loves me about 100 times a day!

He was assessed by CAHMS today for special needs along the lines of aspergers but the man reckons he has attachment disorder caused by aforementioned birth! shock which I am very slowly taking in. Anyway the jury is still out on it and that is another thread!

Back to being sick me and DH carried sainsburys bags with us everywhere, and I was sick each time I got in the car!

We arent having anymore children either by the way. The consultant I saw for a debriefing said my case was so bad that I would likely have it each time and also that he even thought there was a chance DS was originally a twin (I didnt have a scan til 13 weeks) because the extremity of it normally appears in twin pregnancies. Made me sad.

audreyraines Thu 25-Jun-09 18:52:33

alright, keep your sash grin
we may have to manufacture multiple sashes for the worthy few.
so interesting about your ds, can you summarise attachment disorder for me? just curious. your birth must have really been awful - poor you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now