Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anterior Placenta - had placenta previa and c-section in previous PG

(7 Posts)
bevlin Wed 24-Jun-09 13:40:46

I have just had my 12 week scan. I have an anterior placenta. Not the end of the world normally, means you might not be able to hear the heartbeat as well or feel kicks as well. That I can handle. I had Placenta previa and a c-section before so now Im waiting until the 20 week scan to find out if any of the placenta has attached over the old scar which could result in placenta acreta. I had such an awful PG with DS, never ending worries but this could potentially be much worse. Has anyone else got an anterior placenta, I just wonder how common it is? Is there anyone who has it and has had a c-section before? I need anterior buddies!

Nekabu Wed 24-Jun-09 14:17:07

I have and this is my first pg. The midwife's been able to hear the heartbeat just fine each time and I can feel movements, they just have to be reasonably vigorous. Good luck for your scan!

lyndseyann Wed 24-Jun-09 14:44:37

hi this is my 2nd preg during my 1st preg placenta was behind and i had a secton and this time my placenta is anterior and i will be having a section again. i have never heard about placentas attaching to scars before.........is this something to worry about???
this time round though it has taken ages for me to feel proper movements i had felt flutters from around 20 weeks and only from around 24-25 weeks have i ben feeling more movements and kicks but still not as much as 1st preg enough not to worry though
soopefully everything will be fine for the both of us

bevlin Wed 24-Jun-09 18:43:12

Lyndsayann - why do you need a section this time, is it because it's low lying or just because it's anterior???
You can't have anything to worry about. You are too far on for them not to have mentioned placenta acreta by now, you can't have it or you'd know. They would have sent you for an MRI to confirm this horrible condition. It's life threatening to mother and baby so the first thing they would have looked for at your 20 week scan is if the placenta covered the old scar area at all. This is good to hear, you've had the same experiences but you are obviously fine. Keep in touch on this thread. Thanks. x

lyndseyann Wed 24-Jun-09 18:50:11

i broke my back when i was younger and i have a metal bar in my spine so it was an elective section both times and due to the placement of the bar i've to get GA as i can't get an epidural. Glad to hear i've no need to worry i'd never even heard of an anterior placenta until my 20 week scan and i've never heard of the rest of things you've mentioned! Hope you've nothing to worry about this time to i think i've worried more this time that i did with my first!

lyndseyann Wed 24-Jun-09 18:56:16

i broke my back when i was younger and i have a metal bar in my spine so it was an elective section both times and due to the placement of the bar i've to get GA as i can't get an epidural. Glad to hear i've no need to worry i'd never even heard of an anterior placenta until my 20 week scan and i've never heard of the rest of things you've mentioned! Hope you've nothing to worry about this time to i think i've worried more this time that i did with my first!

alana39 Wed 24-Jun-09 20:22:37

Bevlin having an anterior placenta isn't in itself a problem at all. I have one this time and the midwife has been able to pick up the heartbeat on the Doppler instantly. The only thing that feels odd (this is my 3rd) is that the movements aren't as obvious earlier on. The first movement I was sure about happened the day before my 20 week scan, and I could see my bump moving around for a whole minute, but felt absolutely nothing. When that happened I thought the placenta must be at the front. During the scan the baby didn't keep still - again, felt nothing.

2 weeks later I'm already feeling alot more - as the baby gets bigger there's no hiding the movement really smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now