Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can laptops cause harm to unborn babies?

(8 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 23-Jun-09 21:50:04

I am asking as I am in bed lying with my MacBook resting on my belly, chatting on MN and browsing the .net. And noticed the laptop is warm on my belly.

I do this a lot. And have come to wonder if I am doing something that might cause harm to my baby?

Any ideas? Any research either way?

mrswee Tue 23-Jun-09 23:04:10

Looked this up too and apperently laptops don't do any harm but don't let your belly get too warm of course!

SheWillBeLoved Tue 23-Jun-09 23:13:58

Might be worth resting it on something other than your belly. I know I was advised not to expose myself to direct heat like that, but in the same sentence was told that I'd overheat long before the baby did, therefore would obviously take steps to cool down before it had any damaging effect on the baby.

Maybe put it on your lap instead of directly on your belly, or pop a pillow on your belly before putting it on?

Southwestwhippet Wed 24-Jun-09 08:44:18

I've been wondering this because I do the same thing. From talking to some techie friends and also reading on the internet, I have come to the conclusion that it isn't doing the baby any harm.

I'm glad I'm not the only one worrying about things like this grin

rookie81 Wed 24-Jun-09 09:20:46

I have thought exactly the same thing as i always rest it on my tummy! Was on ikea website other day and they have this neat little laptop cushion thing which i am def gonna invest in!!!! www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=brada hope this helps! its only £10- bargain!

PootleTheFlump Wed 24-Jun-09 10:58:47

I was obsessed with this after having an ectopic and blaming myself for always having a laptop on my knees. I finally confessed to my brother who is very into computers, he laughed (in a kind way) and said I should live in a house with no electrical equipment if I thought that was bad!! Agree it is only likely to be about the temp rather than anything else, and a laptop would cut out if it was going to drastically overheat. I would second sticking it on a tray to put your mind at rest smile

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 24-Jun-09 19:01:38

Thanks everyone! I do take the laptop off my belly as soon as I notice its getting warm! But up til now my belly has not been very big at all so I often forget there is a little bean inside!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 24-Jun-09 19:02:23

Oh and I need to do an Ikea run very soon so i shall have to purchase one of those laptop rests grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now