Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Best book to buy??

(13 Posts)
AngelCakeUmm Fri 13-May-05 16:21:52

Hi i want to get a new book that takes you from thw beginning weeks of your pregnancy to when the baby is born.

Anyone recommend which one is the best with all the info in it ..... i love these books.

I have one which is conception, pregnancy and birth by miriam stoppard is there a better one than this.

TIA

AngelCakeUmm Fri 13-May-05 16:27:52

Bump

badger2005 Fri 13-May-05 16:38:22

Hi,

I'm new to the board (21 weeks pregnant - and have been lurking but not posting so far!)

I'm interested in this question too. I got a really good book called "Expecting: Everything you need to know about pregnancy labour and birth". It has a picture of a pregnant woman in a stripy top on the front... weirdly she has an Adam's Apple, but don't let that put you off.

I was also given a book called "Expecting: what to expect when you're expecting", which I found a bit much. It has a whole facist eating regime in it ("Is this the best mouthful you could be giving your baby?"), and seemed to say that the yoga exercises that I have been doing (which I think are recommended for pregnancy) are really risky. I have been trying to ignore it.

Does anyone else have either of these books?

Piccalilli Fri 13-May-05 16:47:35

I quite like the Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth - best read with another more serious one, but it's quite informative and a bit more relaxed than the others and there's a lot less of the nasty scary stuff about diet etc.

I also have 'your pregnancy week by week' which is quite good.

lunavix Fri 13-May-05 16:59:45

I love ' best friends guide to.. pregnancy '

it's written by an american, but she tries to put things translated for english people too, and it's written with a serious sense of humour. It isn't hugely factual but you do get a good idea for first time pregnancy

spykid Fri 13-May-05 17:03:09

Another vote for the best frinds guide.
Bought it for strangely enough, my best friend!! It gives a light hearted look at issues as well as giving all the info. Made my friend laugh at times when she had little to laugh at!
Is now being passed round all known preggie friends.

Kiwifruit Fri 13-May-05 17:11:27

Badger2005 - 21 weeks must make you due in September - come and join us on the Sept ante-natal thread! The more the merrier, and we don't bite...

I've got the Rough Guide to Pregnancy (Kaz Cooke), which is entertaining as well as giving useful information. Very easy to read...

mancmum Fri 13-May-05 17:30:18

i liked best friend but hated the rough guide... all the more when I read the intro and she said she has made it all up!!

I also liked "Becoming a Mother" and obviously the mumsnet one..

Marina Fri 13-May-05 17:34:37

Hi badger and welcome to Mumsnet.
Those What to Expect books are thorough but very American! I'm done with pregnancy now I guess, barring unfortunate accidents, but I've enjoyed many a laugh at the Best Odds diet, not least their enthusiastic endorsement of camembert as a good cheese to eat.
Seems like listeria is not an issue in the USA then...
The Mumsnet book is best of course...but I liked The Best Friend's Guide too. And yes, I did read every single word of What to Expect...

mogwai Fri 13-May-05 22:33:05

I just loved "Best Friends guide to Pregnancy" - it made me realise my symptoms/annoyances were not in my mind, and very funny in places.

However, today I bought the "sequel" about the first year of motherhood. It's a bit depressing, paints a pretty rotten picture that makes me want to run in the opposite direction. Even the humour doesn't make up for it. The author is funny, but I get the feeling she's constantly giving the "worst case scenario"

georginars Fri 13-May-05 22:53:40

I liked the Rough Guide too. I had so many books (DD was born last Dec) that it was just absurd.
Badger2005 - completely agree about the facist eating regime in that What to Expect When You're Expecting book - 'Before every mouthful, think about whether this will benefit your baby or not' - naff off! Cakes benefit me and therefore my baby so stuff your 'daily dozen' or whatever it was called. Now I have the one for what to expect in your baby's first year and it's equally scary but quite thorough, although not entirely un-americanized.
Anyway, AngelCake, it kind of depends on what you want I suppose. If it's just hard facts then you can't really beat the What To Expect one, or there's a Christopher Green one which is completely medical. If you want something a bit more fun but not as fact-rich then the Rough Guide or the Best Friends thing are good. I also have an Annabel Karmel one covering what to eat during the pregnancy and then feed the baby for the first year but that depressed me as I was blatantly giving my baby a terrible start in life by eating too much crap!

nicmum2boys Fri 13-May-05 23:04:19

This one is great if you want details on the baby's development week by week. I found it invaluable in both my pregnancies, as I knew exactly what was happening when. Congratulations

ChaCha Sat 14-May-05 08:47:22

Nicmum2boys - A friend gave me the same book when i told her i was PG, it's great, very informative. I try to read each week as it happens but have ended up jumping right ahead..i love it!

Kaz Cooke's rough guide is a good laugh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: