Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

polyhydramnios - is there anything i can actually do about it?

(5 Posts)
olivo Mon 22-Jun-09 20:32:14

in terms of reducing the fluid? i have been diagnosed with this today, and still have 9 weeks to go. I am obviously anxious. I'm hoping that, having also just been diagnosed with GD, moderating my diet may help but is there anything I can do as well?

spicemonster Mon 22-Jun-09 21:10:50

I don't think so I'm afraid. But I didn't have GD, just polyhydramnios on its own so I am only talking from that perspective. Worst case scenario is that your waters break unexpectedly in which case you get on all fours and call an ambulance. But that's very unlikely. Second worst case is that you are massively uncomfortable, have to leave work slightly earlier than planned and have to have a CS which is what happened to me. It's a pain in the arse but not life threatening to you or your baby. For a lot of people it never gets quite that bad so they go into labour normally and everything happens pretty much as planned.

Be prepared to put up with several weeks of people thinking you're going to give birth in front of them though because you are so enormous. It can be quite useful if you want a seat on the bus though! Try not to worry - they have identified it early and will be keeping a close eye on you to make sure that you and the baby are fine

dottyaboutstripes Tue 23-Jun-09 12:25:27

I wasn't aware that there was anything that I could've done once it had been diagnosed....but I do know that in lots of cases, the fluid returns to a normal level in the last weeks of pregnancy.

From the research I did, it seems that it's not actually a problem and most women have vaginal deliveries, though with constant monitoring and with controlled ARM to avoid the risk of cord prolapse.

Of course, I was one of the ones whose levels rose and ended up with a c section, typical!

olivo Tue 23-Jun-09 17:22:47

thanks for your replies. i don't have a problem with a CS, was possibly going to be having one anyway.you are right that it is good they have found out now, and i have loads of appts for checking up. Just feel aboit helpless. I have totally snapped at the old ' sure it's not twins' etc comments today, am fed up of them blush

lol at a seat on the bus grin though!

spicemonster Tue 23-Jun-09 17:36:47

I am not joking - I am the only woman I know who had three men leap up at once to let me sit down when I got on the tube at about 36 weeks! I think they thought my waters might break on them if I had to stand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now