Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GTT tomorrow morning - what shall I have for my 'last supper'?!

(6 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Mon 22-Jun-09 14:01:00

I have to be at the hospital tomorrow morning at 8.30pm for the GTT so can't eat after 8.30pm tonight, trouble is I feel sick at the moment (my normal non-stop 'morning' sickness) and can't begin to think about cooking anything for dinner. Just about the only thing I fancy is maybe some fruit or cereal or something but I really think I need a big carb-heavy meal to see me through till I can eat again. I'm slightly flapping as I generally retch and am sick until I have brekkie but I guess at least if that happens I'll be hospital grin.

Does anyone know what you have to do in that 2-3 hours wait between blood tests? I have to go the ante-natal ward so really hoping they'll let me have a bed so I can catch up some sleep wink. Surely, I won't have to sit in the evil waiting room chairs for hours and hours?

Beccabump Mon 22-Jun-09 14:18:45

Hi there

It's probably best to try and eat something reasonable, although I'd avoid 'stuffing' yourself as you could end up with a higher reading than planned in the morning! Maybe a light pasta dish if you feel up to it?

During the wait I was allowed to go home for strict rest (however this was at a surgery based GTT) - I opted to stay as I had a 2 year old at home and would have ended up running round after her! You probably will be asked to wait in the waiting room - try and grab one of the more comfy chairs you sometimes get at ante-natal - and take a good book!

Also take a snack and drink for straight after. You will most likely be allowed to drink water once you have had the glucose solution but will not obviously be able to eat.

HTH

Queenoftheharpies Mon 22-Jun-09 14:19:02

I was allowed to leave the building under strict instructions not to eat and drink (apart from water), and to be back in 2 hours, so went shopping.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Mon 22-Jun-09 14:48:37

oh it's going to be horrible isn't it? oh well, has to be done. ante-natal waiting area = hard chairs and very very hot room. Still, I'm sure I'll survive somehow. Think I'll opt for pasta, could just about fancy that for dinner. thanks.

Queenoftheharpies Mon 22-Jun-09 15:14:06

It's OK. The only horrible thing is the glucose drink itself, which is vile.

Seeline Mon 22-Jun-09 15:29:16

I had mine at the maternity unit at the hspital. They had several curtained-off cubicles where you could go and lie down if you felt a bit wobbly. It's quite normal to feel sick (especially if you are suffering with morning sickness) or just abit light headed. Take a book/magazine because even if you get to lie down it will be very noisy, and napping is unlikely. Above all, take something to eat as soon as you are allowed to. I didn't and had to walk form teh maternity unit to the hospital cafe - all of 5 minutes, but having had nothing for 12 hours, it felt like climbng Everest!! Good luck - it's not that bad at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now