Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

normal delivery following c-section...experiences??

(14 Posts)
melissa75 Fri 19-Jun-09 10:14:29

Hiya
I am pregnant, and having had two c-sections with my two previous pregnancies (twin, and singleton) I am now hoping to go for a natural delivery...as do not fancy another c-section if at all possible. I am a newbie to natural delivery, and am slightly worried about having a "normal" delivery after having had a c-section...
anyone here had this situation and been successful? Please put my mind at ease if so!

melissa75 Fri 19-Jun-09 13:23:19

bump

mrsdisorganised Fri 19-Jun-09 13:31:22

Bumping again for you.

Good luck, not really much help here!

I had emcs with dd1 and dd2 and was never offered any support for a natural birth for dd3 but have since researched and found it is very possible. Wish I had looked sooner, as I will be having my last c-s for dc5 in October.

JLo2 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:31:56

I only had one c section, but have had 2 'normal' deliveries since then. Would definitely recommend it smile.
They like to keep a very close eye on you and will probably want to monitor you continously so that they can whip you into theatre if there are any signs your scar is rupturing.
Not sure about the stats for two sections, but for one the chance of a rupture is 0.5% (very low).
Good Luck smile

JemL Fri 19-Jun-09 15:58:37

I can't reassure you yet, but I am going for VBAC after em-cs first time round.

Am currently engaged in gentle debate with hospital on VBAC protocal, but feeling positive!

The hospital I will be at has a 70% success rate for VBAC, which is encouraging. Perhaps you could speak to a consultant midwife about giving yourself the best possible chance this time round? Good luck!

snickersnack Fri 19-Jun-09 16:05:05

I had a VBAC after an emergency c-section. I talked quite a lot to the midwives about my birth plan - the supervisor of midwives was quite happy to agree to me having a water birth in the midwife-led unit after we'd had a chat. In the event, they were worried about ds's heartbeat, so although I wasn't wired up to a monitor, he was via his scalp [ouch, poor little thing]. But it was fine - lots of gas and air and encouragement from the midwife.

It's very possible. My friend had a home birth after 2 previous c-sections, without any problems.

melissa75 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:18:02

thanks for messages...good to see it is possible! BTW...what does VBAC stand for? I am sure it is probably obvious, so forgive the stupidty of the question...blush

twoplusone Fri 19-Jun-09 21:43:42

VBAC is vaginal Birth after csection..
I had a section with my first then went on to have two VBACS . I was monitered through out the labours but still able to move around etc..
good luck hun x

mrsbabookaloo Sun 21-Jun-09 17:08:59

There's a whole gang with lots of experiences on the "trying for a VBAC" thread; I'll go and find the link.

mrsbabookaloo Sun 21-Jun-09 17:10:48

Sorry, it's in childbirth and it's called the "support for imminent VBACers thread"

[[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/382996-support-for-imminent-vbacers-thread Here]]

mrsbabookaloo Sun 21-Jun-09 17:11:24

Damn, that didn't work.

here

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 17:16:41

Also nice have all the 'bumf'

www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG013fullguideline.pdf

It's an interesting read, you can just head straight to the bit that concerns you, which is towards the end. Or read the lot, it's interesting and an easy read.

The labour guidelines are also very very interesting - and may be very relevant to you soon! smile

Cangratulations

helips Sun 21-Jun-09 19:20:22

I'm planning a home vbac after an emergency c-section. I have gone with some Independent midwives who are very experienced in home births and home vbacs, is this something you could look into? I really don't fancy going to hospital and being monitored constantly, don't think that will help a natural delivery much. Good luck, hope you get the birth you want.

nickyjoli Sun 28-Jun-09 13:04:44

I live in France and have been told in no uncertain terms that there is absolutely NO chance that I can even try for a vaginal birth, and I understood from a UK midwife that even in the UK 2 previous C-sections mean that there is v v little chance of being allowed to have a normal birth. Does anyone have experience of a v-birth after 2 C sections?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now