Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Faint lines - how long before they get darker?

(6 Posts)
MintChocAddict Thu 18-Jun-09 23:43:15

I know this is going to sound a bit mad but I got a BFP on Sunday morning and although the test line was much fainter than the control one, was definitely still a line.

Anyway also tested Monday, Tuesday and again tonight blush and all very light lines in test window. I guess I was expecting things to have got a bit darker.

Am I being neurotic and jumping the gun? Are continous pale lines a sign that all's not well. Should they be getting darker or should I give myself a slap and wait a week or so to test again?
LMP was 13th May so still pretty early days.

Biccy Thu 18-Jun-09 23:52:17

Hi MintChocAddict, tentative congrats on the BFP. What sort of tests were you using; and what's your normal cycle length?

Does it help to know that tests are meant to show up best with first morning urine, and you can expect hcG levels to double in 48 hours. If you used a sensitive test, and had conceived late in your cycle, you may have only had say 10 miu concentration, which in 48 hours would only be 20 - which still isn't much.

MintChocAddict Fri 19-Jun-09 00:00:51

Hi Biccy,
Thanks for your response.
I used a superdrug early test for first three blush. I DO sound mad! grin
Tonight I used an Asda one - I was planning to wait until the morning but I have no willpower. I guess seeing that it had got no darker got me thinking.

My cycle is anything from 32 -40 days although has been at the shorter end of the scale for the past few cycles. I only tested because I had a slight bleed at day 26 which then turned into brown discharge - sorry TMI. That stopped after two days so I wondered if that was implantation?

I think I just need to chill out and try to be patient.

Biccy Fri 19-Jun-09 00:28:32

You're not mad. You should see the contents of my knicker drawer (it's littered with used pregnancy tests).

Well, I think this bears out my theory - your early tests could have picked up very small amounts of hcG, and while your levels should technically have doubled twice since Sunday, they will still be low. I would guess then that the Asda one is less sensitive that the early ones. So... the early ones pick up say 5 miu... by today you may expect to be up to 20... but the Asda test is probably only sensitive to 20 or 25. Have the lines been appearing any more quickly?

Also, imagine if this cycle was going to be a 40 day one, then you wouldn't be expecting your period until Monday (is that right?), and I wouldn't expect to get a really dark line on any test, even an early one, until after your period is due.

It is unfortunate though that being able to test early does mean that you may pick up something that isn't going to become a pregnancy, so I really understand your ponderings.

Keep my fingers crossed for you.

MintChocAddict Fri 19-Jun-09 00:45:45

Cheers Biccy.
I've got plenty to keep me occupied over the weekend - going to see Take That (yay!), so will try not to test again until middle of next week. hmm
Not sure if they're showing up faster as I've left the room each time and returned to look at the results 3-4 mins later.
Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated. smile

Biccy Tue 23-Jun-09 22:19:55

Hi mintchoc, any news?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now