Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bags - argh!

(23 Posts)
SheWillBeLoved Thu 18-Jun-09 22:13:00

What the hell goes in these? I've just spent the past hour rifling through all of my 'baby things' gathering bits and bobs, but from what I've gotten so far, you'd think I was planning on a 2 week stay there!

Can someone give me a bare essentials list of things I'll need? And things which people forget to take but do end up needing?

So far I have -

For me:
Baggy nighties to labour in/headband
PJ's/Dressing gown/slippers for on the ward
Bath towels
Toiletries/Hairbrush/Bit of make up blush
Sanitary towels
Lots of knickers I don't mind throwing away

For baby:
6 Short sleeved bodysuits
6 Sleeveless vests
3 Sleepsuits
Sheets/Blankets
Bath towel
Mittens/Hats/Socks/Booties
Cardigan for coming home
Nappies/Cotton wool/Wipes/Creams
Baby bath/baby powder

Random:
Snacks/drinks
MP3 Player/Speakers
Titchy fan (not hand held)
Digi/Video camera

blush Too much crap? Things I've missed? Help grin

TIA

anniebigpants Thu 18-Jun-09 22:36:06

Extras you might want for you

Socks -your feet get cold for some reason during labour!
Magicool spray-cools your face down during labour.

For Baby-i wouldnt bother with taking in wipes/cream/bath liquid or talcumn powder as you shouldnt use these on a newborn baby-all you need is cotton wool and cooled boiled water.

SheWillBeLoved Thu 18-Jun-09 22:42:24

Ahh Annie - see I never usually use stuff like that, I'm a cotton wool and coiled boiled water woman through and through grin I just thought "What if the nurses are a bit hmm at me not bringing any smellies in" as I know that they expect you to successfully bathe your baby in front of a nurse before allowing you home at the hospital I'm going to shock

Socks! I remember that from somewhere, I just loathe socks with a passion and would rather freeze... but I'll take some just in case!

And face spray.. I'll get some of that. Don't fancy faffing about with cold flannels which will be flung at DP the minute they're anything but freezing grin

Lissya Thu 18-Jun-09 22:55:50

I think your list sounds great.

I would add flip flops for in the shower/toilet.

Mints are good to have to keep your mouth fresh when you can't get to clean your teeth.

Small toy to personalise the baby's bassinet with! I took a small bear in for the corner of the bassinet and it's now in the momento box as baby's first toy, which is nice.

You can't have too much crap!! Best pack it all in and be in comfort for the time you're there. DH had to do THREE trips to load the car up before coming back finally for the baby and me blush

(in my defence I had an EMCS and had gathered quite a few bouquets and extra bits and pieces because I was there for an extended period, but still...)

Good luck for the birth & enjoy!

staylucky Fri 19-Jun-09 10:24:16

The midwives do tut at you if you attempt to use wipes or toiletries on the babba. Once you're home it's your own business what you use. Personally I'm taking wipes anyway, green tarry poo + cotton wool is just madness

You seem to have everything you'll need Hun. This time round I'm following advice from MN and taking one bag for me and one for babba to avoid having to ransack every two minutes. Best of luck.

Gromit78 Fri 19-Jun-09 10:48:05

i have followed the suggested list given by the hospital in their own maternity services leaflet. I was surprised to read that they recommend baby shampoo and baby wash? I imagine they offer cotton wool, but do you think it would be enough, I know how stingy the NHS can be.

Is it worth taking a book in, as I know there can be a lot of waiting around and I think watching daytime TV will make my brain rot, I watch too much of the stuff as it is.

Gromit78 Fri 19-Jun-09 10:49:59

Further to my last comments how many baby clothes does one really need to take into hospital? I have 4 items, do you think that will be enough? Also as the baby is due in the middle of July is it worth bringing a hat and mittens?

YanknCock Fri 19-Jun-09 10:53:06

I just received an email on hospital bags from our NCT teacher, and it suggested 'muslim cloths'. I snurked a bit.

DaisymooSteiner Fri 19-Jun-09 10:55:43

Personally I wouldn't take nearly as many baby clothes in. Two sleepsuits and two vests should be enough and if not then your partner can bring in more. There is so little room by the beds IME that if you bring loads of stuff you just end up tripping over it.

SheWillBeLoved Fri 19-Jun-09 13:22:43

I have crammed it all into a very small suitcase for the babies stuff, and a small hold-all for mine.

I've got 6 Vests, 6 Short sleeved body suits, and 3 Sleep suits. I know I won't use it all, but people keep on saying "Take plenty of vests etc, that first poo gets everywhere!" shock

I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, even bearing in mind that I'm only in for the night! blush

DaisymooSteiner Fri 19-Jun-09 13:44:24

Are you sure you need sheets and blankets though, doesn't your hospital provide them?

I would recommend that you put the baby's first set of clothes in your labour bag so your partner/midwife can find them easily.

I personally wouldn't keep a camera or digicamera at the hospital overnight, but let your partner take it home with him, as it may get nicked otherwise.

I'd also suggest a water bottle that you can re-fill and keep by your bed as you may be really thirsty and it saves having to make multiple trips to get more cups of water.

Astrophe Fri 19-Jun-09 13:53:42

Maybe take baby's first set of clothes with you, and then have another bag (leave in the car?) with extra baby clothes/blankets/going home outfit etc.

Also, take some snacks and a drink for your DH/birth partner, and also for yourself - just a few small things eg a couple boxes of juice, cake bar or crisps etc

MrsHappy Fri 19-Jun-09 13:57:27

Yeah, ditch the baby blankets and sheets unless specifically told otherwise by the hospital.

Take a pillow and towel for you - tis better than the rubber biscuit and crunchy postage stamp you will get at the hospital.
Also a small fold up changing mat to stop baby crapping on your bed!

SheWillBeLoved Fri 19-Jun-09 14:01:18

The hospital provide blankets on the ward, but you can't take them home shock it's only a couple of white flannelette sheets and a gorgeous pink blanket for when she's coming home. I haven't packed any bed sets or anything grin

alana39 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:15:26

Haven't read the rest so sorry if repeating, but extra pillow for you (they can usually only muster 1 on the NHS) and rubber flip flops, the showers may well be disgusting. On a slightly less exciting note, it might be worth getting a bottle of lactulose - the last thing you want after the birth is constipation (uncomfortable enough down there) and it softens things up so when you do start going again it should be easier.

Finally it's worth packing another small bag (carrier even?) with clothes to go home in. Stick it in the baby car seat so whoever collects you has it with you. I trusted DH to bring stuff in last time and it was a mistake.

Lissya Fri 19-Jun-09 17:29:24

Ah yes, the coming-home clothes lottery if you leave it to DH/DP!!! grin

You will still need maternity wear as your tummy will feel like jelly for a couple of days, so some comfortable maternity trousers plus a nice tummy-supportive top eg a stretchy close-fit maternity/BF t shirt.

I still took in blankets for the baby and was pleased I did as they provided one small blanket plus TOWELS! hmm to wrap the baby in.

DaisymooSteiner Fri 19-Jun-09 18:19:10

What, towels on the postnatal ward? Or do you mean straight after the delivery to dry the baby off?

Lissya Sat 20-Jun-09 22:11:40

Daisy, I DO mean towels on the postnatal ward! To swaddle the baby in, not cleaning/drying!

Maternity ward was full up when I was in, perhaps they'd run out of actual blankets?!

Baby was wrapped in 1 blanket and 2 towels (hand towels with the hospital name down the side). I was quite shock until I thought well, I suppose it's doing the same function as a blanket would hmm... plus they are clean towels... - anyway, was glad I brought my own blankets following advice on a previous MN thread! smile

blondiep14 Sun 21-Jun-09 14:27:25

have you got breast pads? I forgot and had a very blush morning waiting for DP to arrive with them the day my milk came in!!

SpookyMadMummy Sun 21-Jun-09 15:12:18

How long are you planning on staying in?

When I had Dd3 in April I had less than 24 hours in and used:
2 nighties for me, dressing gown and slippers.
Toiletries etc
Clothing to come home in
1 pack maternity towels (Had haemmorrhage) and loads of old knickers
About 6 breast pads

Baby: one vest, one sleepsuit, one cardigan, one hat and a pair of scratch mittens
Bag of nappies and baby wipes

I brought home:
2 sleepsuits, 2 vests, another hat, another cardigan, a coat, about a dozen breast pads, pack maternity towels, blanket that did not get used, and an assortment of other stuff which I truly thought I needed but did not. I should have known really being the third baby and all smile

SpookyMadMummy Sun 21-Jun-09 15:12:46

Oh and a couple of feeding bras.

forevermore Mon 22-Jun-09 19:24:05

just wanted to ask you ladies when you should get this stuff ready? I am only 28 weeks, however at risk of a premature baby due to placenta previa and the fact that DD1 came at 35 weeks (that was a shock so only had what i was wearing and gave birth in the dress i had onblush. This time I will be having a C-section and possibly a short (i hope)stay before and after.

NorthernLurker Mon 22-Jun-09 19:32:11

a spare t-shirt for your other half is useful but you can leave it in the car till needed - birth is MESSY!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now