Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can someone please explain this to me!

(10 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Thu 18-Jun-09 19:27:27

Hello ladies, I really confused and need your help!

Went to EPA unit today as have been feeling unwell and my dates are not 100%.

My last period was the 11th May, my cycles varied from 27-30 days each month. We had sex on Saturday the 23rd only (sorry!!!!)

By my dates I thought I was 5 and a bit weeks but my scan today said I was only about 4 weeks. I don't get it!

When did I concieve?? Will I ever know??
I don't get it! Some one please explain it to me!!!

ShowOfHands Thu 18-Jun-09 19:30:30

Early scans are so difficult. At 5 and a bit weeks they can see very little indeed so accurate dating's nearly impossible.

Also bear in mind that sperm can live in the right conditions for 5 days so it's possible to have sex but actually become pregnant nearly a week later.

Are you having a re-scan in a couple of weeks?

It's stressful I know.

tryingtobemarypoppins Thu 18-Jun-09 19:37:49

Thank-you ShowofHands, yes in 3 weeks time. My first pregnancy was much more straight forward. Been a stressful day, only had 40mins to get dressed, wake up DS and get to the hospital today. My GP was lovely in making an emergency appoinment but it was horrible waiting with so many ladies all sitting in silence whilst with my LO. I just don't know what to make of it all!

Lulumama Thu 18-Jun-09 19:41:12

is it that vital you know the day you conceive?

an egg is released around day 14 of an average cycle, it can live 24 hours, possibly 48, sperm can live up to 5 - 7 days, so it is possible to conceive, the sperm meet the egg a day or two after sex.

when you have your next scan, you should get a better idea of dates and hopefully see a heartbeat.

tryingtobemarypoppins Thu 18-Jun-09 19:45:09

Its just when they say your just x many weeks and in your head your thinking "I didn't go near DH around then!" you start to worry the scan may be wrong.......I don't want them to think anything is wrong etc....

Lulumama Thu 18-Jun-09 19:54:50

it is not set in stone, same as your EDD is just that.. an estimated date

you don;t have a 28 day cycle and everything around pregnancy is based on that, so there is going to be margin for error, as it were, eitehr side.

a few days out either side is not really an issue.

Milliemuffin Thu 18-Jun-09 21:41:50

I've never heard of anyone having a scan so early on as like the others have said it's virtually impossible to see anything at that point, I really would try not to worry. Hope all works out for the best xx

like lulumama said its all estimation. As for ovulation the average cycle yes egg released around day 14 but sperm lives quite a few days up there.

I seem to ovulate pretty early in cycles so everyone is different.

all the best smile

CherryChoc Fri 19-Jun-09 08:13:42

Also when they say "You are 4 weeks pregnant", you actually conceived around 2 weeks ago, because they count the weeks from your last period, not from ovulation.

HTH.

mummytopebs Fri 19-Jun-09 09:41:25

I apparently conceived my dd when i was on a hen do for a week , i did not by the way but dh was a bit worried - until she was born and was the spitting pop. Sperm must be able to hang around you know what men are like trying to make a decision the sperm is probably the same x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now