Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Those of you who had scans at 7weeks that resulted in sucessful pregnancies - what size were your beans?

(22 Posts)
Thandeka Thu 18-Jun-09 15:49:27

Just had a scan at 7weeks+0 saw heartbeat and emby measured 5.6mm which I thought was good as my last emby which died in an MMC at 10 weeks measured 4mm (so died after 6.3weeks). But then googling reveals at 7 weeks+0 I should be expecting a bean of around 1cm (bad me for googling but is reliable resource) so now I am a little worried its going to happen again and hoping for some reassurance. Am pretty sure of my dates as I temped, used OPKS, checked cervix position and EWCM- there could be a couple of days out but not more than that. This pregnancy feels different as I am throwing up feel constantly nauseous and just feel grim.

Anyhow hoping there are other MNetters who have had sucessful pregnancies from similar sized beans at my stage.

Owlingate Thu 18-Jun-09 16:19:01

Thandeka did the sonographer say anything about size? I thought the worry for MC was slow growth and they didn't worry too much about the actual size iyswim (I MC'd at 17 weeks so not sure about this stage).

FWIW I was scanned at what I thought was 7 weeks exactly with my current PG (now 16 wks)and was told it was big at 11mm - so maybe 1cm would actually be on the big side for 7 weeks. I have been told to stop googling in this PG but I know how hard this is. I have already found myself misinterpreting a lot of scientific info in journals. There is a lovely American Journal of Gynaecology article which makes it sound like another 2nd tri miscarriage is almost inevitable if you've already had one - thank you google.

I hope someone comes along with the same size baby as you, and I hope the wait for the next scan is as gentle and short as possible.

Thandeka Thu 18-Jun-09 16:30:46

Thankyou for replying and so so sorry to hear about your 2nd trimester MC that must have been terrible. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you for this pregnancy (and yes google is evil!) Ooooh but that is a bit reassuring that 11mm was big. I suppose they all grow at different rates and sizes and only time will tell. Think I should be able to get another scan in 2 weeks.

Sonographer didn't say owt really as she was same sonographer who told me in my last pregnancy that I wouldn't miscarry (scan at 6.3 days showed heartbeat but then died shortly after) and I complained to the EPDU about what she said (in a nice way- asked them to feedback she shouldnt have said that!). So she may have been too scared to say one way or the other! Plus had she said it was too small for the dates I think I would have completely freaked out! I have my first midwife appointment tommorrow so I will chat to them then.

My last scan at 5weeks 3 days (suspected ectopic) the fetal pole measured 4mm so in 11 days it has grown 1.6 mm - I have no idea if that is good or not!

flyingcloud Thu 18-Jun-09 16:51:33

Thandeka, I hope you get some reassuring answers but remember everyone and everything is different. Good luck with the MW tomorrow.

babyhouse Thu 18-Jun-09 17:04:55

Hi Thanfeka, good luck with your pregnancy. I had early scan, 6-7 weeks & although I cant remember what size bean was he is now my gorgeous 7 year old DS. There is hope

JemL Thu 18-Jun-09 17:13:52

I had a scan at exactly 7 weeks and was just under 9mm. The sonographer did say that accurate measurements were difficult at this stage as if they put the marker crosses just the minutest bit out, it significantly changes the measurement.

Even when you use a reliable resource, it is still important to remember that the measurements are averages, and not written in stone - there will always be embryos that are above and below the average. And for further evidence that measurements are not always accurate, look at the number of people who know 100% when they conceived, absolutely for definite, and then are given completely diffferent dates by sonographers -based on measurements which don't fit the average.

Hope all continues to go well for you x

FifiOK Thu 18-Jun-09 18:22:53

I had a scan at 6weeks+5days.

She took 3 measurements which were:

4.9mm, 5.9mm, 7mm

Averaged out to give 5.9mm. But it shows how different the measures can be. She stressed how difficult it is at that early stage.

There is no way mine would have been 1cm 2 days later at 7 weeks.

Good Luck. And remember it is completely natural to worry after a MC or MMC.

timmette Thu 18-Jun-09 18:29:29

Hi Thandeka I was scaned at 7 w 2 days and it was 1 cm - I also lost my last pregnancy and totally understand your worry.

Thandeka Fri 19-Jun-09 10:12:48

Thanks guys.

Have decided for time being I am going to pretend that my dates are a bit out as revisiting my chart there is a slim possibility I ovulated 4 days later. Also have been having womb tingles in the last few days and they were keeping me awake last night and in my head that means it is going through its big growth stage at the min so hopefully all will be fine by 9 week scan.

Fingers crossed.

BlackLetterDay Fri 19-Jun-09 10:37:12

Congrats Thandeka, I know it must be very stressfull for you and good luck. That was a very interesting link you posted, the bit where it said 10mm at 7 weeks did say mean measurement, so there must be a range of measurements that would be normal. When is your next scan?

makipuppy Fri 19-Jun-09 10:46:06

Thandeka, I had my scan at 7+0 with the exact same measurement. I'm now about 30 weeks and can't see my feet!

The nurse wrote on my report that size was normal for dates (I had IVF so no doubt over my dates).

I didn't check out your resource, but I've used the visible embryo site which is fab, and even more fab since it says your wee baby is spot on for your dates, have a look here.

They vary hugely at that stage. I was at the bottom of the scale at 7 weeks and the top at 10 weeks.

Wishing you a lovely pregnancy,

mistlethrush Fri 19-Jun-09 10:46:48

FWIW I had a scan at 6wks - and they told me I was 6+1 (which would have been physically impossible), at 9wks I was 9+3 and at 14 wks, 14+5.... My edd would have moved every time I got scanned!

Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 10:48:44

Thandeka - I had a 7 week scan. By LMP I was 7 weeks exactly and had had follicle tracking on clomid so knew I had ov'd pretty near day 14.

The measurement was shown to be 6 weeks and 3/4 days and heartbeat was present but the speed was consistent with it being 6 weeks 3/4 days- this was a private scan with v. high tech equipment. consultant too - and so the scan was inconclusive. I convinced myself the end was nigh.

I went back at 10 weeks to find everything was showing 9 weeks and 3/4 days.

At my 13 week NHS scan the baby measured 12 weeks 6 days.

All was well (dd2 is 14 weeks old !). I don't know if I was a few days out or what. DD2 was born at 39+6 but only because my waters broke and I didn't go into labour.

From my googling at the time there is such a margin of error at this stage and 1 day makes a lot of difference to the measurement so if there's a chance you might be a few days out that will make a lot of difference. I will see if I can find my measurement....

ShowOfHands Fri 19-Jun-09 10:51:43

At 7+4 dd was 11mm and 2 days later was 14mm so a couple of days can make all the difference at this point too.

makipuppy Fri 19-Jun-09 11:03:04

Yes, all the sonographer does it mark the crown and rump which is a bit like pinning the tail on the donkey. Equipment varies, and also, little embryos are entitled to curl up for a snooze...

DP shook his head in utter amazement at my size-related googling around this time. He kept saying, but the nurse wrote size consistent with dates! He was right.

Thandeka Fri 19-Jun-09 11:12:02

Phew thanks guys- I knew I could rely on mumsnetters to reassure me. The visible embryo site is FAB! Thanks Makipuppy

babyhouse Fri 19-Jun-09 11:29:28

Good luck Thandeka with everything and keep us informed as bean grows! We called DS Bean for ages!!!

Thandeka Tue 07-Jul-09 12:27:51

Just to update. Another scan today and it is now 28mm! Over 4 times the size it was only 2 and a half weeks ago!

Am on track size wise for dates (well they moved my due date back by a day- [am I bovvered emoticon]

Anyhow a great bit yippee and thanks for all the lovely mnetters who supported me through the last wobble. Keeping fingers crossed this bean keeps getting bigger!

Ninjacat Tue 07-Jul-09 13:00:37

Woo hoo Thandeka. I'm so pleased for you grin

flyingcloud Tue 07-Jul-09 13:54:19

Whoopee Thandeka!

So pleased for you and bean.

Are you 9+5? - I'm 9+4 according to last scan, next scan is 27th.

xx

FifiOK Tue 07-Jul-09 14:53:04

Great news Thandeka. Hope this eases some of your worries. grin

Thandeka Tue 07-Jul-09 15:06:59

Yup 9+5 according to ov dates. 9 and a half (whats that 9+3.5days!?) according to bean size so am very very happy with that.

Flyingcloud our dates are very close- Joy27 is same dates as me and we plan on our sprogs marrying each other- but perhaps there will be a mid marriage affair with a flyingcloud sprog- second thoughts actually sure I approve of that- perhaps I should consider the moral framework for this bean first! Perhaps they can all be friends instead
grin

My next scan is 31st and good job i double checked it as it was MW appointment booking but not nuchal fold scan so have managed to book that in at same time. So will be 13weeks+1 then and after that I will relax a little more (but probably won't properly breathe until mid february!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now