Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is it possible to get antenatal depression?

(8 Posts)
alexpolismum Thu 18-Jun-09 15:01:07

Everyone hears about post natal depression, but has anyone else started feeling down during pregnancy?

I started off feeling really excited and positive about my pregnancy, I even joined an ante natal thread on MN, but as time progresses I have been getting down and feeling depressed about it.

I already have 2 dc, this will be my third. I never felt depressed during either of my previous pregnancies. I just feel tired all the time and totally debilitated, and I was actually quite energetic the previous times, and I'm starting to wonder if I can cope.

EdwardBitMe Thu 18-Jun-09 15:04:35

A friend of mine had antenatal depression before her 2nd and 3rd children.
She had a deficency (sp?) in a B vitamin I think.

nowwearefour Thu 18-Jun-09 15:05:39

yes it is definitely possible and actually quite common i believe - or certainly much more so than you would realise. def worth seeking help over.

YanknCock Thu 18-Jun-09 15:08:45

Very common. If you do a search on MN for it, you'll find loads of threads about it.

I was barely leaving the house and crying all the time during weeks 9-24. Finally on a proper dose of anti-depressants and looking forward to baby's arrival in August.

alexpolismum Thu 18-Jun-09 15:13:19

Oh, I'm glad you posted that YanknCock. I thought you weren't allowed to take anti-depressants during pregnancy.

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one. All the other mums-to-be seem to be bubbly and excited.

I'm going to do a search now, see what has been advised at other times.

YanknCock Thu 18-Jun-09 15:37:27

Oh believe me, there's loads of us! ADs are 'allowed', but depends on your GP or HCP what you will get and in what dose.

Two of the 'safer' ones are fluoxetine (Prozac) and citalopram, and there are a few more I've heard of people taking (I'm sure someone will come along and name a few more).

Research in this area can be a bit thin on the ground, I think because of the ethics involved with running randomised trials on pregnant women. But there is data gathered on women who take AD's during pregnancy, case studies and the like.

The main consideration is, does the potential benefit of taking ADs outweigh the risks? In a lot of cases it does. It's a judgment you and your HCP will have to make.

If you do a search on MN for antidepressants and pregnancy, you'll find even more threads about it that you might find helpful.

madmissy Thu 18-Jun-09 17:31:34

YES!!!

i had it with both dd's and now pregnant with baby number 3 i have also been suffering from anxiety and post natal depression and for that reason i am on anti depressants now.

i am 13 weeks 3 days

pls dont feel alone and dont talk it wont help you need lots pf support smile mn is a good resorce (sp) but spk to your gp

hope that you feel better soon

madmissy Thu 18-Jun-09 17:34:13

oh and i am on setraline 50mg as i was on citalopram which didnt work for me and then i started mirtazapine which is quite strong and not known whether its safe so i had to stop that when i found out i was pg and then when i reached 12 weeks i started setraline (sp)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now