Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did you have a bad hospital birth last time? Are you having a homebirth this time?

(10 Posts)
TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Wed 17-Jun-09 22:50:07

I had a horrendous hospital birth last time and never want to go back there, so I'm having a homebirth this time.

What made you want a homebirth?
Where do you start with a homebirth?
Is it safer than a hospital birth?
Are there any reasons NOT to have a homebirth?

Tommy Wed 17-Jun-09 22:57:24

I had 2 hospital births and DS3 was a homebirth

For me, the main reason was that I wanted to hower in my own bathroom afterwards and get into my own bed - that was allgrin

I started with the homebirth by just chatting about it to my MW

not sure you can comapre if it's "safer" or not - depends what happens - you never know. I actually ended up going into hospital when DS3 was 5 days old with Strep A infection in a bit of retained placenta. The consultant told me that it was nothing to do with the homebirth and that it shouldn't stop me wanting another one (although ~I think 3 boys is quite enough thank you smile)

Go for it - it was great - I was much more in control

expatinscotland Wed 17-Jun-09 23:00:46

no, i never had a homebirth.

just not for me and i always wanted the option of epidural pain relief.

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Thu 18-Jun-09 07:49:11

I was screaming for an epidural last time because DS was coming out sideways and they didn't have access to one and wouldn't call the anaesthetist.

Deemented Thu 18-Jun-09 08:00:02

I've had two hospital births, and really want a homebirth this time.

My first birth was an emergency c-sec at 28 weeks, and my second was a full term vaginal birth. They were both traumatic, for different reasons, so i guess what it comes down to this time is about being in control.

massivebump Thu 18-Jun-09 10:38:10

I'd wanted a homebirth first time around but unfortunately ds1 had other ideas as my waters broke at 36+2 so I wasn't allowed a home birth. As our local labour unit (the only other option in our area) was being refurbished they'd stopped all hospital visits so I had no idea what it was like there. I won't go into details but the labour was ok although there was lots of intervention, the aftercare was awful!

So, second time around I was determined to have a home birth. low & behold I went 4 days overdue that time :-). I had an absolutely wonderful experience and can't recommend it enough. It was much, much quicker at home, which could've been down to being more relaxed in my familiar environment and being able to do/watch/listen to/eat what I liked when I liked. I sat on my birth ball most of the time, sipped lucozade and sucked on gas & air. The main thing to keep in mind is that should anything go wrong or you're not coping well etc, you can always transfer to hospital.

The first thing to do regarding a homebirth is to let your midwife know that you want one. She can tell you the procedure in your area and talk you through things you'll need etc. If you come up against any resistance there are places you can turn too, I'm not sure where but if you do an internet search you will find the authority to speak with. I'm lucky as we live in an area where the m/ws are very pro-home birth so have not had to deal with this problem. Also, once you've gone into labour and contacted the m/w make sure you or your partner inform the m/w or receptionist that you're planning a home birth and that you want gas & air (if you wish to use it), that way the m/w should turn up prepared to stay rather than just to examine you and arrange hospital admittance. For a list of all the things you'll need for a home birth there's a great thread on here somewhere with loads of info/ideas, I found it really useful even though I've done it before.

A home birth is no more or less safe than a hospital birth. Your m/w will carry everythign with her for all eventualities and should also set up a resus area just in case there are complications after delivery. It really is just a precaution but a very wise one. m/w will regularly monitor baby's h/b with a doppler to make sure he/she's happy in there. Of course should any problems arise during labour you can be transferred to hosp immediately. Evidence shows that in general women who labour/deliver at home are less likely to need intervention of any kind (ie, assisted delivery), even if they are transferred to hosp.

With regards to reasons not to have a home birth it would depend on your personal situation. Such as a breech baby, low iron etc. This is why it's essential to let your m/w know asap that you'd like a home birth as they can monitor these things in the later weeks and if needs be turn the baby so you can still have a home birth, give you iron supplements etc.

I'm on baby No3 now, our last. Due any day now so I'm in 'nesting' mode and almost everything is ready & I can't wait! I've brought a birthing pool this time too & am very excited. Just got to keep my fingers crossed now that there will be a free m/w available when I need one :-)

Wishing you lots of luck and hope you get the birth you want!

bettyjack Thu 18-Jun-09 12:36:22

I really want a home birth for my 3rd but my DH is not so keen.

Do you find that when you mentioned home birth to you DH they were like this? and what is the main reason you think that they do not want to have a home birth?

Also how do you get rid of the water in the pool when you have finished?

Thanks

neolara Thu 18-Jun-09 12:54:19

I had a not great experience in hospital with my first dc so I opted for a homebirth for my second.

The homebirth was a totally different experience - much more relaxed, I actually had a midwife (in fact two midwives) with me for most of my labour, I felt in control. It was brilliant. To be honest, it wasn't even that sore, which I attribute partly to feeling so relaxed and in control. The only downside was that my ds took a minute or two to breathe. The midwives dealt with this without any panic at all. They had already set up a part of the room for this eventuality and he was given oxygen. In fact, they dealt with it much better than when the same thing happened to my dd when she was born in hospital. Apparantly it is quite unusual for babies not to breath when when they are born, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. I think it happened to both of mine because I had very quick labours and they were born at around 37 weeks, both of which are risk factors for not breathing.

We live very close to the hospital, so if anything had happened we could have got there pretty quickly. That was an important factor in making my decision.

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Thu 18-Jun-09 18:15:29

Well that's me decided then. Homebirth it is. My house will have to be spotless though, I wonder if I'll manage to keep it tidy when I'm 9 months pregnant with a DS under 2 yo! Did everyone else manage to keep it tidy?

Loopymumsy Thu 18-Jun-09 20:07:41

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now