Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hot tubs?

(5 Posts)
SheWillBeLoved Wed 17-Jun-09 18:53:29

Can I use one? Pretty please shock we're going to a friends house for a few days on Monday, and she's just excitedly told me that they have had a hot tub installed in their back garden... and in the same breath told me that she doesn't think I can use it for the same reason I'm not allowed to use a foot spa?! I wasn't aware I couldn't use a foot spa!

I know there are risks of overheating, but as long as the water temp is cool/warm, will it be okay? I hope it will, at 36 weeks and having spent the last 2 weeks solidly decorating our new house, a hot tub is just what I need to slink in to grin

doulalc Wed 17-Jun-09 19:30:23

Not sure why you couldn't use a foot spa either?? Unless I am thinking of something different than she is.

Since you are at 36 weeks, you can use the hot tub if they keep the temp below about 37....or around body temp. A few things to watch for....you should be able to go right in....if you have to tiptoe your way in, it's too hot. If you turn pink...it's too hot! If you feel sweaty...it's too hot! If you get dizzy...it's too hot!
Best to limit your time as well.

Another possible concern would be if you were already starting to dilate...sometimes a bath, or hot tub, would not be recommended...it will depend on the midwife. Yes, women labour in tubs and have waterbirths, but that is not usually in a friend's back garden tub....that is the distinction some will make....

heartmoonshadow Fri 19-Jun-09 22:59:06

Hi,

Not sure about hot tub but my beautician said couldn't use footspa for pedicure as it stimulates blood pressure etc so maybe spa does the same?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 19-Jun-09 23:02:56

No. Poor baby would get really hot!!

judyrogers Sat 20-Dec-14 09:40:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now