Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

midwife couldnt find heartbeat ,anyone else had this ?

(7 Posts)
bumpsoon Wed 17-Jun-09 17:55:56

Supposed to be 12 weeks and the midwife tried to find the heartbeat using the doppler ,but she couldnt find it ,heard lots of whooshing which she said means there is a pregnancy and she thought she heard it briefly in the background . Anyone else had this experience ? ive got my date scan on friday ,will i be able to see it ?

lastboxoftampons Wed 17-Jun-09 17:58:44

They wouldn't even try for me until 16 - 17 weeks. It's very iffy at 12 weeks because the baby is still really tiny in there. I'm sure everything is fine, please don't panic! smile

traceybath Wed 17-Jun-09 17:59:33

12 weeks is still quite early to hear a heartbeat - did the MW not warn you she may not pick it up?

I had this at my 12 week appointment too and everything was fine as had nuchal scan a couple of days later.

This is why lots of midwifes won't try and listen to the heartbeat until at least 16 weeks.

Good luck with scan.

Pingpong Wed 17-Jun-09 17:59:55

I think it is often 14 weeks before hb can be heard on a doppler. All will be clear at the scan smile
It's hard not to worry though.

bumpsoon Wed 17-Jun-09 18:03:27

thankyou so much ,i wasnt really worried wink ,she did say shall we try ? and didnt appear at all suprised when she couldnt find it ,it just so long since my last baby i have forgotton all about this pregnancy malarky

Milliemuffin Wed 17-Jun-09 22:30:16

I saw my mw on monday at 12 wks and she asked if i wanted to try as it was still early and they might not get anything as baby is still very low down. A student nurse had a go first and couldn't find anything but then the senior midwife said sometimes you have to wait for 'him to swim by' so we waited a minute or 2 and eventually we did hear the heartbeat, only for 5 or 6 seconds and then he 'swam away' again. Don't worry, like everyone else has said it's still very early xx

makipuppy Thu 18-Jun-09 08:33:23

What the midwife meant is that the whooshing noise is the placenta, and the placenta is driven by the baby. This means that although she couldn't hear the heartbeat for sure, she could be sure the baby was alive.

Hope you have a lovely scan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now