Talk

Advanced search

Anti-histamines (sp?) in pregnancy - are they allowed?

(9 Posts)
scarlotti Wed 17-Jun-09 15:02:01

Can you take anti-histamines in pregnancy? We're off to Majorca in 2 weeks and I normally get bitten whilst away and can react quite strongly. Normally take pills which take away the itching and then have hydro-cortisone cream to reduce the manky spots (glamorous Mum abroad, sadly I am not!)

Can I use these now? Am 20 weeks.

If not, anyone got any ideas of what I can use?

DingALongCow Wed 17-Jun-09 15:51:46

I get the exact same thing and went to the pharmacist when I got my first three bites of the summer. I was told no anti-histamines as they are untested adn I would have to go through my doctor.
I was told to use Sudocrem, TCP and calamine aqueous cream (not the lotion according to the pharmacist. TCP is the most effective apart from the smell but not as good as my usual pills and creams. I am still itchy sad

liahgen Wed 17-Jun-09 15:52:23

piriton is fine

Was prescribed it for relief of OC itching in pg

scarlotti Thu 18-Jun-09 09:13:45

Thanks ladies, the piriton is a great help as we have some of that and I know it works on me.

Am looking forward to the holiday more now!

ButtercupWafflehead Thu 18-Jun-09 09:18:02

Piriton is NOT necessarily fine.

Check the NHS website, here

Ask your doc or pharmacist if you're worried.

angel1976 Thu 18-Jun-09 09:21:32

I went to Boots and they told me that basically if you are pregnant, they were not supposed to advise you to take anything even homeopathic stuff they would not recommend. The only thing they would recommend is some organic balm that you are meant to smear around your nostrils so that you stop the pollen seeds from entering your nasal passage. It was just over £6! I refused to buy it as I was told you could do the same with Vaseline... grin

scarlotti Thu 18-Jun-09 09:59:07

Hmm, thanks buttercup (although not thanks as I might not be able to take it!)

I think to be safe I'll ring the midwife.

It's the itching from the bites that's unbearable so maybe I'll have to coat myself in insect repellant and hope for the best .... at least on the plus side I might clear a big space from the smell and bag a sun lounger grin

Toppy Thu 18-Jun-09 10:25:41

Scarlotti - get advice on your insect repellent too! Avoid anything containing DEET which is toxic in high amounts even to adults and is absorped through your skin. I have the same problem - the mozzies LOVE me and I am fully expecting to be covered in egg sized bites this summer

scarlotti Thu 18-Jun-09 10:32:56

Heavens - really?! Pah, this lovely break is going to turn into scarlotti carnage, I can tell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now