Talk

Advanced search

please, someone calm me down re possible diabetes

(15 Posts)
olivo Wed 17-Jun-09 14:52:34

I've just had a call from the midwife to say that, following my GTT, my levesl are up and the diabetic team will be in touch. I also have to see the consultant on Thursday. Should i be worried- all sorts of awful things are going through my mind and i'm feeling guilty about indulging my extremely sweet tooth during this pg. Have i harmed the baby? obviously, i wil cut out sweet things immediately, although it will be so so hard.will it affect me or the baby afterwards?
i darent google as i 've made that mistake before.

bramblebooks Wed 17-Jun-09 15:12:59

passing a soothing cuppa. I had raised GTT and it didn't present to full diabetes in pregnancy.

There are people on here dealing with diabetes in pregnancy - I've a feeling there's a support thread, might be worth a search.

All the best. Support out there for you with your team will be organised - babies tend to look after themselves first when they're 'innies'. x

olivo Wed 17-Jun-09 15:29:50

thanks bramble. i'll accept the soothing (without sugar) cuppa! I will have a look for the support thread; this has really thrown me, i have to say.

Beccabump Wed 17-Jun-09 15:46:52

Good idea to cut out the sugary snack - just for now!

Hi there I was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks and saw the team at 30 weeks. I have to monitor my sugars twice a day using a pin-prick of blood (it honestly doesn't hurt after the 1st/2nd time of doing it!) and I have to manage my diet to control sugar and carbs. I have to have a good amount of good carbs with my main meals and steer clear of them and sugars in between. basically eating sensibly is the key!

I have had a few extra growth scans to check baby over (quite nice to see them again!) but at the moment, baby is growing within the recommended levels so no concern.

Don't panic about what you have done already as you cannot change it and even if you did it may have had no bearing on your GTT anyway

I was really panicked at first but there are loads of mums on here who do have GD to hold our hands

xxx

olivo Wed 17-Jun-09 15:53:46

thanks becca, for your calming words. I have just removed all cakes and biscuits to the back of the cupboard. One of the reasons for the GTT was because i am measuring quite large, so i guess they'll keep an eye on it.

hope all goes well for you.

bramblebooks Wed 17-Jun-09 15:54:15

My ds2 is t1 diabetic and is insulin dependent, but becca is absolutely right about monitoring carbs. We carb count as it's carbs which push blood glucose levels up. Between meals try low carb snacks like cheese, meat, veg! I'm sure your team will advise.

The most comfortable pinpricker we use comes with the accucheck aviva meter and is called 'accucheck multiclix'. You don't have to use the meter it comes with if your team prefer a different one, but seriously it's worth spending a few quid on the meter and then sending it here to the dreamtrust in India and hanging onto the finger pricker. Dreamtrust work with diabetic girls who would otherwise become seriously ill or die due to lack of family money for medication or training for them.

bramblebooks Wed 17-Jun-09 15:54:48

passing tea and low carb snack, as that was a slight downer at the end of my last post x

devotion Wed 17-Jun-09 15:58:00

Hello
Are you talking abiut gestational diabetes?
My friend had this with her last pergnancy and had to change her diet, as soon as she did she looked and felt so much better. I knew when she was pregnant with her first and she looked so much better during her 2nd pregnancy. As soon as her baby was born she was fine again.
Good luck x

llareggub Wed 17-Jun-09 15:59:04

I had GD and DS2 was born 7 weeks ago at the average size of 7 pounds something. I followed a diabetic diet (basically avoiding sugar) and did lots of exercise as this helps lower blood sugar. I stablised by blood sugar and as a result kept my diabetes under control.

On the plus side, I actually lost weight during pregnancy and 7 weeks post pregnancy I am 2 dress sizes smaller than I was at my booking-in appointment.

I was really upset when GD was diagnosed which is pretty common. But please don't worry. I actually felt fantastic and really healthy towards the end due to the healthy eating.

devotion Wed 17-Jun-09 15:59:52

can i also say they were worried about her babies size and her baby was born about 8lbs so as long as you follow what your're advised then.

olivo Wed 17-Jun-09 16:05:04

yes, gest diabetes, i assume, devotion. was just a quick call from the m/zw, no doubt i will find out more at the hospital tomorrow. i was quite surprised as, although m bump is measuring a bit big, i havent put on that much weight. i have been indulging in quite a bit of sweet stuff though, this pg seems to have been one thing after another - throwing up for 16 wks stopped as spd started, its being treated and under control and now this! i didnt realise how easy i had it first time round!

bramble, yuo sound very knowledgeable. dreamtrust sounds like a worthwhile charity.

olivo Wed 17-Jun-09 16:07:50

sorry, llareggub, x posts! congratulations on DS2's arrival -can i ask, was he ok as a result of the GD?
i could do with feeling fantastic, am working on my iron levels at the mo which are also low!

bramblebooks Wed 17-Jun-09 16:39:08

Olivo, looks like you've had it all (apart from quintuplets!). Sounds like you've a good team sorting everything out for you. My ds was fine despite me chucking sugar out in my wee like no tomorrow! I had him at 36 wks, he was 7lb 6oz. He was induced as I had galloping pre eclampsia.

Sadly, all too knowledgable about diabetes, have to be, but hope to be of some help to others! A friend has actually visited the charity in India, so I know it's not a 'false' one - good to know it actually does what it claims to do.

llareggub Wed 17-Jun-09 17:24:33

Oh yes, he's fine! Yours will be too.

If you don't control it then there is a risk baby might be big, but mine wasn't. They'll monitor baby's sugars for 24 hrs after birth as there is a risk of bs going too low.

olivo Wed 17-Jun-09 17:38:54

thanks all. am feeling a bit better now, will see what they say tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now