Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice on blurry eyes please........

(15 Posts)
MumGoneCrazy Wed 17-Jun-09 11:29:45

Im 26 wks today and for the past few days my left eye has been twitching uncontrolably for a few seconds at a time every 5-10mins also ive been getting a lot of black patches in front of my eyes so when im looking at them i can only clearly see the one side of their face, the black patches dont last all day just for about half hour at a time but it happens about 3 times a day (yesterday i was in iceland when it happened in the middle of the day)

I had Eclampsia in my last pregnancy it came on suddenly i hadnt had any signs one minute i was ok next i was blind and having fits and having to have a emerg c-sec at 36wks

My bp has been normal at all my appointments so far but im stil a little worried could it be pre-eclampsia or is it maybe down to tiredness or heat? I had an eye check a few months ago and they said my eyes were perfect so i dont need glasses.

I cant go to doctors til tomorrow so was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions?

blinks Wed 17-Jun-09 11:41:58

get thee to the doctors today.

twitch is nothing but black patches must be looked into TODAY.

i will cyber stalk you until you give in.

blinks Wed 17-Jun-09 11:42:59

failing GP, the nearest hospital.

MumGoneCrazy Wed 17-Jun-09 11:46:25

Ive never been cyber stalked on mumsnet before grin

I cant go today im alone with 2 kids aged 3 and 2 with 8yr old in school until 3.30 and noone to pick him up or look after the girls and i have spd and cant manage the 2 girls on a bus for 20mins then a 10min walk to the docs

heartmoonshadow Wed 17-Jun-09 12:06:52

Then call out the local doctor - surely your surgery will sort that for you?

blinks Wed 17-Jun-09 12:13:22

they can arrange a GP home visit or failing that get a taxi to hospital and call school to arrange something (after school club until someone can pick him up.

this is more important.

blinks Wed 17-Jun-09 12:13:54

<persistent>

Tabbykat Wed 17-Jun-09 12:42:19

get it checked today!!!! My friend had this and left it and it became a big problem for her - don't want to scare you but it was pre-eclampsia and she lost the sight in one eye for several months, even after the birth - PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR...xxxxx

jaffacakeaddict Wed 17-Jun-09 13:40:52

I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters. You need to get this checked out, particularly as you have a history of eclampsia. If I were you, I'd mention that to the surgery / hospital as it may make a difference to the treatment they give you. I had distorted eyesight in one of my pregnancies and didn't do anything about it. When I mentioned it to the midwife some weeks later (after pre-eclampsia was fullblown) she couldn't believe I hadn't done something about it earlier. Would the surgery send out a midwife to check blood pressure / urine sample?

Good luck

blinks Wed 17-Jun-09 19:13:43

did you go?

Catz Wed 17-Jun-09 19:22:17

Definitely go to the doctor. I had this last week at 15 wks. I have no history of eclampsia/pre-eclampsia and was too early for it to be a serious worry anyway. Nevertheless my (very experienced) midwife took it very seriously, told me that even at my early stage it could be a sign of developing pre-eclampsia and told me to get my blood pressure checked straight away if it happened again e.g. going to out of hours Dr if it happened at a weekend rather than waiting for a regular appointment. She also said it could be something that was not worrying at all such as dehydration or hormone induced migranes.

I very much hope it is 'just one of those things' but it could be very serious and with your history I wouldn't delay getting a quick blood pressure check.

blinks Fri 19-Jun-09 01:23:33

update? hope you're ok x

thumbwitch Fri 19-Jun-09 01:27:15

hope you went to the docs.
If your BP is normal and there are no signs of pre-eclampsia, then try getting more sleep and drinking more water. I get eyelid tics when I am very tired, and my vision goes blurry when I am dehydrated. Plus I get black "floaters" and shade differences between my eyes when tired and dehydrated.

MumGoneCrazy Fri 19-Jun-09 17:33:47

Sorry Blinks if i worried you blush and thank you all for your messages

I went to see my midwife yesterday morning and she took my blood pressure and a urine sample

I had some protien in my urine and my bp was 120/75 so it was slightly higher than my last bp check when it was 100/60 but it was the same as the time before that so she's not too worried and put the blurryness and spots down to heat and tiredness and told me to rest more (which is hard to do with 3 dc but i'll try grin) and to go back every week to have my bp checked.

crumpette Fri 19-Jun-09 19:17:13

Hi mumgonecrazy- I'm glad you are feeling better now but would like to stress that if it happens again you should really go somewhere asap to get checked- EPU or A&E and if necessary your hospital labour ward. I only say this as your bp isn't crazy-high but you do have pre-eclampsia with the proteinuria as well, and if you've had full-blown eclamptic fits they can come back. The vision is the best warning sign, and as you know it can happen quickly. Bp can change a lot from one day to the next, so if it happens again pleease get checked as soon as you can!

Sorry to lecture you, I am glad you feel better now. Good luck resting! grin 3 dcs?! what was she thinking?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now