Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Growth scan today - what should I ask?

(6 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Wed 17-Jun-09 08:41:09

Hi,

I am going for a growth scan today and then I have an appointment with the consultant afterwards - anyone got any ideas of what I should ask - I just want to be prepared as I find the consultant daunting!

HMS

olivo Wed 17-Jun-09 10:19:52

HMS - it probably depends on the reason for the scan. how far on are you? is it big/small?

I have one in a few weeks due to problems with last birth; this time they want to see how big it is as this will impact on delivery method so i will be asking about delivery/ cs/ etc and whether i will have top have it early.

LeninGrad Wed 17-Jun-09 10:43:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jarbelle Wed 17-Jun-09 10:45:16

Again, depends if big/small and the reasons behind it.

What sort of delivery you should expect would be a good question. Mine was small and I was totally shocked to be taken for a c/s after getting no time to prepare for it, 6 wks early.

Any complications the baby may have? Will it be taken to NICU/SCBU? If yes, can you arrange a tour of the SCBU before the birth?

jarbelle Wed 17-Jun-09 10:50:07

You will usually find the midwife doing the scan gives you more info than the consultant. Well mine did anyway.

She talked me through fluid levels, dopplers, size of baby and the general state of my placenta. Each time I went for a scan she was able to show me how things had changed.

My own consultant was very abrupt and daunting.

heartmoonshadow Wed 17-Jun-09 12:01:46

Hi,

Thanks for the tip - BTW I am 35wks pregnant with a high BMI hence the growth scan. Aalthough prior to pregnancy my weight was distributed on hips thighs and bust and my waist was a size and a half smaller than my hips and my tummy was relatively tiny. My midwife has been unable to get a reliable fundal measurement because baby has had a funny lie all the way through - transvers or oblique all the way.

I will approach the question of how to give birth with the consultant - would you think it fair to say that if baby still oblique or transverse that I want a c-section because I would rather myself have the recovery time than the baby be distressed or possibly starved of oxygen at birth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now