Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

so worried about head measurements - looking for reassurance

(8 Posts)
M78 Mon 15-Jun-09 11:55:11

I had a 24 wks growth scan on Tue, due to my history ( my DD ( 7 yrs) was born very small due to poor performing placenta, but she was perfectly fine and I also had to have 2 terminations due to fatal abnormalities in between), the scan showed that the amniotic fluid is low ( had the same with DD) and the placenta is at the moment ok, but it will probably start giving me some problems soon, so I?ll need to be scanned regularly. The consultant also mentioned that the head is smaller than it should be and it is also oval shaped. He said that the shape is caused by the baby breech position and that he is not concerned about the size as the rest of the measurements are ok. I am still terrified there is something wrong, I want this baby so much and I am so scared.... Did anyone have similar experiences? I am just looking for some reassurance to get me through the next 3 wks before I get scanned again. thanks

M78 Mon 15-Jun-09 13:40:33

bump

JRocks Mon 15-Jun-09 13:51:46

I don't have experience with this, sorry, but I do think that if there was cause for concern the consultant would have said so. As it is he has said he is not concerned, so try to trust that. I know that's easier said than done, but I really think you'd have more appointments if they thought there was anything that warranted it, IYSWIM?

A friend of mine had similar fears after her baby was born, her DS had a slightly small head measurement in comparison to his others, but has turned out to be nothing at all. Just the way he is. smile

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Mon 15-Jun-09 13:52:27

Is it the head size/shape you are worried about? I have heard this before about breech babies. If the consultant isn't worried about it I probably wouldn't as usually they are so quick to flag up problems. Also I think they would have scanned you sooner if he was concerned about this.

Sorry no similar experiences, just hope this may help. Not surprised you are terrified after all the problems you've had.

marmitetoast Mon 15-Jun-09 14:23:06

Sorry you are feeling so worried.
Just wanted to say that at the 20 week scan my DS head measured right at the smaller end of the chart while the rest of him was much bigger than average. One head measurement had not even changed since a 16week scan. Cue much angst on my part even though Consultant reassured that everything was okay. When he was born he had a spot on average sized head.If your doctor is not worried, please try not to, I sort of wish they didn't tell you measurements etc unless there was a cause for concern as I bet it causes lots of needless stress.

mumtobe23 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:34:25

I can totally sympathies with you, I had my 28 weeks growth scan on thursday and was told my baby too has smaller head measurements then average even though everything else was fine and the fluid was normal.
I've been booked in to have another scan in July with the consultant and like you am terrifeid something is wrong even though they stressed to me it was just a precauation to keep an eye on everything.
So although I don’t have an answer for you I just wanted to let you know i'm in a pretty similar boat myself xx

M78 Mon 15-Jun-09 20:01:57

Thank you for the replies, I feel a bit better now, I just wish they hadn't said anything about the head size, I am already paranoid even when things are fine!
mumtobe23 thank you for your message, it does help knowing that other people are going through the same thing as I am. Everyone I've told about this has said I am silly to worry if the consultant said it is fine, but it is not so easy when it is your baby!

neolara Mon 15-Jun-09 20:34:22

At my 20 week scan I was told that my baby had a tiny head (below the 3rd centile). I was rescanned two weeks later, and the head had grown fine and was now around the 7th centile. Apparently, this meant there was no cause for concern. I read somewhere that that different body parts can grown at different time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now