Talk

Advanced search

Can I lose weight while pregnant ????

(16 Posts)
dyzzidi Wed 11-May-05 11:56:27

Ok I am about two stones overweight and three days before Finding out I was pregnant (naturally) I was advised by the IVF clinic to lose this weight for a successful pregancy.

Now I am pregnant I am losing weight I don't know how much but my clothes feel looser, mainly because I am eating fruit and veg instead of crap. I am eating three very balanced meals every Day and am snacking on fruit. my diet is normally quite bad so I think it is the healy eating which is doing it.

For the record I am in no way dieting! Just making sure i give my baby every chance of survival by eating more and more veg etc.

I had a very bad experience with midwife so didn't ask her advice, Do you think that its ok for me to loose a small amount of weight whilst pregnant.

Nemo1977 Wed 11-May-05 11:57:52

dyzz im quite overwiehght and was wondering this too. I know slimming clubs wont accept u as a member but i suppose there is no reason for eating healthier in order to try and 'tone up'

dyzzidi Wed 11-May-05 11:59:04

I can't do much exercise as my previous surgeries have left me with a 'weak stomach' so I may go swimming i just want to check with my consultant first.

Nemo1977 Wed 11-May-05 12:00:39

exercise whats that

Im just trying to eat a bit better and cut down the sweet stuff im so desperatly craving..lol

dyzzidi Wed 11-May-05 12:01:30

I am only craving spicy stuff so I have even laid of the choccies

I'm not sure how long it will last!

maretta Wed 11-May-05 12:05:07

I'm no expert but what you're doing sounds great.

I can see no logic in tucking into a mars bar just to maintain your pre pregnancy weight. It's quite common to loose weight in the first trimester anyway because of sickness etc.

I think - sure someone will correct me if this is wrong - that you need an extra 200 calories a day over the usual recommended daily intake of about 2000.

Good luck with pregnancy!

dyzzidi Wed 11-May-05 12:11:39

I'm not sure about calories etc I just try to eat Five portions of fruit and veg (more like Seven at present) And bringing in my own lunches of prepared foods like Veg soup, hotpot etc just to get the veg into me.

ninah Wed 11-May-05 12:13:42

sounds great, and healthy for you and baby
personally (and I know I shouldn't) I use it as 9 months off to 'pig out'

hotmama Wed 11-May-05 12:16:19

I also was about 2 stone overweight when I got pregnant with dd who is now 7 months.

Apparently, in France women are often put on diets if they deemed overweight (read this so don't know if it is true).

I personally don't think actively trying to lose weight is a good thing, just concentrate on having a good healthy diet and not using it as a good excuse to scoff yourself silly - obviously you will have some goodies - don't we all. Just concentrate on optimum nutrition for you and your bump.

My dd was due last September was late (minx) and being huge in August was absolutely no fun at all. I put on stacks on water and weighed 16 stone on the day dd was born. As it was water I lost loads after the birth - but I have vowed never to be so big next time around - it is a f**** nightmare!

I joined Weightwatchers in January so am losing the weight AFTER the birth and am determined that when I next get pregnant that I will be nearer a 'normal' weight.

zebraX Wed 11-May-05 12:20:11

Cor, blimey, I'm not overweight to start with but I had a small net weight loss for the first 3 months of 2 pregnancies, babies were fine. I think it's really common.

Actually, my best friend in high school was plump (about 3 stone overweight). When she had her first baby she lost loads for 1st 3 months (happiness, I think!), then gained slowly until she was back where she started at 6 months pregnant.

& that baby was ok, too.

As long as you don't actively restrict calories/exercise to excess, I imagine it's fine.

Azure Wed 11-May-05 12:43:43

I know of someone who weighed less at 9 months pregnant than before pregnancy. She had been very overweight and managed to completely change her diet to be a lot heathier, making sure she ate the recommended amount. She felt great and the baby was healthy.

dancer77 Wed 11-May-05 13:13:38

Ilost nearly 2 stone in my first 5 months. Not through choice but through sickness. The only thing that stopped me feeling sick in the last few months was fruit and veg. The first 5 months i lived on jacket potato, cream crackers and plums! Ds was a perfectly healthy 8lb 3oz.

eidsvold Wed 11-May-05 13:23:58

i lost it cause i was so ill in the first few months with dd1. I was doing ww when I fell pregnant with dd2 - from memory i could attend for as long as i liked but was not allowed to weigh after 12 weeks. I stopped going around 8 weeks - was leaving the country anyway. as long as you are eating a healthy balanced diet then that is the important thing rather than trying to loose weight.

bamik Fri 13-May-05 17:15:33

Sounds ok to me. In all the books I've read they always reccommend lots of fruit & veg. It's good for Iron, folic acid and all other types of vitamins that are good for you and baby.

I personally think that the change of diet may help to loose a few pounds as well.

Mud Fri 13-May-05 17:21:01

sounds fine to me

I lost weight in first 4 months with last one too then put it on so by the time she was born was still a stone overweight

as long as you are balancing your diet, taking your prenatal vitamins, not avoiding fats (but using healthy oils like olive) you should be fine

LooneyLaura Fri 13-May-05 21:53:12

I weighed 12st when I got pregnant with DD. At 6months preggers I found out I had gallstones and went on a very strict virtually fat-free diet. When DD was born I had lost a stone then a further stone through diet and breastfeeding. DD is perfectly healthy and I feel a lot better and more confident about myself now.
I think as long as you are eating a balanced diet and increasing your intake of fruit and veg, you will feel so much better. Just remember to keep to those eating habits after the baby is born, or you'll never get anywhere and it would have been a waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now