Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Student nurse needing help from mums and mums-to-be!!!

(12 Posts)
gemwow2000 Sat 13-Jun-09 10:52:57

hello everyone.

I am not a mum or mum-to-be. I am a student nurse from Newcastle. I was just hoping someone would be able to help me with an assignment due to be handed in next week
I have to give an account, from the patient/client perspective of the role of the midwife. So basically I need someones story of their midwife during and after there pregnancy. Whether it is a positive or nagative experience. In depth detail would be good, seeing as I have to write 2000 words.

Please can someone help me

It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Penthesileia Sat 13-Jun-09 11:17:35

gemwow2000 - just posted on the other thread you posted on, but it occurs to me that you are much more likely to get the information and detail you want if you write a list of questions you'd like answered and post that list instead. It's quite a daunting request to ask everyone to post, in detail, about their midwife experiences, whereas responding to a series of questions might be easier for most people (for lazy me, at least! grin).

gemwow2000 Sat 13-Jun-09 11:25:58

Ok...so, maybe just thinking about a particular appointment you had with your midwife.

1) What was the appointment for?

2) Who attended the appointment besides yourself and the midwife?

3) Give a brief description of what happened during the appt.

4) Did you express and concerns/worries?

5) How did the midwife help?

6) How did you feel at the end of the appointment?

Thank you very much anyone that has the time to reply! grin

EccentricaGallumbits Sat 13-Jun-09 11:26:09

If you are writing an academic essay you'll have to reference it so anecdotal stories won't be much use.

There is loads of research done on transition to parenthood, the role of the midwife, and experiences etc.

One that springs to mid is Carol Wilkins - A qualitative study eploring the support neeeds of first time mothers on their journey towards intuitive parenting. 2005 so fairly recent.

gemwow2000 Sat 13-Jun-09 11:28:57

It is academic and I will be referencing the evidence to back up the anecdote. However we were supposed to use patients from our last placement to reflect. I was on an elderly medicine ward so didn't get any pregnant ladies in...don't know why!! grin

monkeyfeathers Sat 13-Jun-09 17:20:33

You probably don't need the anecdote to be all that long to be honest. It's a 2000 word essay (which is really not very long), and you're going to be marked on how you discuss and analyse the anecdote in terms of the literature/evidence (certainly you would be if you were on any course I've ever lectured on). Devoting half the essay (or more) to describing the situation etc in depth is not going to help you much (and will immediately rule out the possibility of getting a 2:1 or better for the assignment).

heartmoonshadow Sat 13-Jun-09 17:30:30

Hi,

I would suggest if you do want to reference an anecdote that you put it into an appendix and then refer throughout to a particular page in said appendices. This way you an use the anecdotal information and cross refer to current literature, it also means that you will not have to include it in your word count. Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs but I had similar things to do on my Early Years degree and found this the way around. It will help you to get a better grade as they will see your critical analysis of the information provided.

heartmoonshadow Sat 13-Jun-09 17:32:10

PS - if no-one has replied and if you can sort out an email address I would gladly email you my experiences as answers to your questions, I would do online but feel you would benefit more from an email.

decafgirl Sun 14-Jun-09 21:39:19

Hi, if you still need help, I'm based in Newcastle & would be happy to help. I'm not pregnant but I have a nearly 2 year old if that's any use! Just put your email on here and I'll get in touch xx

lal123 Mon 15-Jun-09 13:56:32

the most important role of my midwife was to provide reassurance - I remember when I borught dd home thinking "I've only got to keep her alive til tomorrow, and then the midwife will be here and it'll all be all right.."

lucya1980 Tue 16-Jun-09 19:59:37

you could try asking your local gp/ midwife if u can sit in on a midwife/ patient consultation, but u will have to ask the mother at the time if its ok, and if she would mind answering a few questions, most women are happy to divulge! If not contact the ante natal unit at the rvi. You could even hang out in the waiting room oposite the scan waiting area ( leazes wing rvi 2nd floor)and ask to talk to a few pregnant mums for a few testemonies. also most appontments are spesific to type of pregnancy gestation and are mostly routine appontments. good luck!!

daftbat Wed 17-Jun-09 12:19:53

Hi I've had 3 successful pregnancies, 1 induced early due to the absence of a renal system and just had 1 ectopic.... I can recount good and bad stories on mw. Some were great and some bloody awful. If you want to know any details, I'll happily speak on the phone or emai lyou bits (that you can then ask for more detail on, should you wish).

Glad my essay writing days are over!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now