Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you make your baby "too big" by eating too much?

(14 Posts)
MadamAnt Fri 12-Jun-09 20:35:15

Just curious...DS was 10lb 9oz and I'm wondering if this next baby is likely to be even bigger given my current fondness of cakes.

Wonderstuff Fri 12-Jun-09 20:40:39

I don't think so. My friend has diabetes and that meant her babies were massive. But I'm pretty sure just eating cake won't make a difference.

Haribosmummy Fri 12-Jun-09 20:42:03

I don't think so either... I ate loads of jelly babies when PG with DS and he was only 6lbs 8oz! grin

largeginandtonic Fri 12-Jun-09 20:46:17

I do grow HUGE babies who are clearly not meant tob e that big. They fall off all their centile lines until reaching a centile line right for them.

It could have down to my donut/sweets/spaghetti carbonara munching grin I just don't know.

MadamAnt Fri 12-Jun-09 20:49:06

LG&T - me too...it's a bit demoralising producing a juicy whopper of a baby and seeing it "shrink" into a skinny malink.

largeginandtonic Fri 12-Jun-09 21:27:46

grin Too true, all that effort!

corblimeymadam Fri 12-Jun-09 21:31:37

Message withdrawn

mrsboogie Fri 12-Jun-09 21:36:42

You can't make a baby bigger just by eating a lot - unless you have GD- but I think they do say that fat women have bigger babies because they have an excess of nutrients available in their bodies (this is what my midwife said to me)

although I have one when I was very very thin and he was 2lbs bigger than the one I had when I was very fat...hmm

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 12-Jun-09 21:39:01

I had hideous ms and totally lost my appetite when pg with dd. I hardly ate anything for the first 20 weeks and even after that, I was still off my food. She was 9lb 12oz (despite neither me nor dh being particular big/tall)

This time round I'm eating for England so I really hope your theory is incorrect shock

childrenchildreneverywhere Sat 13-Jun-09 00:44:51

Nope - urban myth! see http://www.bigbaby.org.uk

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Sat 13-Jun-09 00:48:12

I ate and ate and put on 4.5 stone with DS. He was 6lb 1oz

I ate and ate and put on 4.5 stone with DD. She was 7lb 11oz

dizietsma Sat 13-Jun-09 01:07:28

Trust me, you can't! DD was 50th centile at birth and I ate like a HORSE.

MadamAnt Sat 13-Jun-09 09:41:49

Oh good. My OP was prompted by my third large slice of coffee cake last night, and subsequent inner thumping from my enormo-baby.

TigerFeet Sat 13-Jun-09 09:44:19

lol @ enormobaby grin

With dd I put on something like 4 or 5 stone and she was a nicely average 7lb 12oz. My arse was somewhat more than nicely average though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now