Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fore-waters - under baby's head - stopping engagement???

(2 Posts)
bacon Fri 12-Jun-09 14:22:25

My baby is now 8 weeks old and I had a marvellous pregnacy and was desperate for my VBAC. Medically, there was no reason why and all was well but babys head just wouldnt engage and was constantly on brim and bouncing about. I had extremely stong tightenings from 2 weeks before EDD. Obvioulsy, because of this I didnt go into spontanous labour and had to be induced - only allowed one pessary which failed and had ARM which leaded to a crash c-section. I was devasted and emotionally gutted for weeks as I felt I had missed on because of my first c-section (he went OP last minute).

Does anyone know about about too much fore-water under baby's head? hence the reason for not pushing down on cervix and going into natural labour? My first labour babys head was engaged but through inducement and got to 9cm.

I had numerous sweeps but the it was unfavourable. The tightenings were amazingly strong so baby and body were working hard. On both babys I had good fluid.

I am really interested in this as I am thinking about another baby in future and will go for a VBAC2.

I am really interested if anyone can agree with me or had similar experience.

doulalc Sat 13-Jun-09 22:26:50

It can happen that the excessive fluid inhibits baby coming down and in turn less pressure is applied to the cervix. The concern about rupturing membranes with baby still high is either cord prolapse or cord compression resulting in a marked change in baby's heartrate. AROM is really used far more often than it should be. Not sure if either was the reason for your emcs.

What was the reason for your induction? Was it due to the strong contractions without labour starting? Did you go passed your due date?

Another labour could go completely differently from the first two. You certainly have the option of a VBAC2, but you may have difficulty finding a care provider who will go along with it. Hopefully you would have the option of attempting labour and seeing how it goes with the knowledge that another c-section would be done if deemed necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now