Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Washing baby's clothes

(22 Posts)
lastboxoftampons Fri 12-Jun-09 11:47:40

Did you wash everything before using it? And did you use a special/baby safe detergent?

Thanks

MrsHappy Fri 12-Jun-09 11:51:19

Yes, to get rid of the chemical nasties.
Any non-bio will do (I use Fairy or Persil).

timmette Fri 12-Jun-09 12:15:12

Yes I did the advantage is you're all organised the disadvantage is you can't then return anything.
I just used normal washing liquid - just a smaller amount - as they weren't actually dirty.

dal21 Fri 12-Jun-09 12:23:39

Yes, fairy non bio.

jaype Fri 12-Jun-09 14:02:06

Yes - you must. Ds came out in a horrible vest-shaped rash after I forgot to wash a new white mothercare top before he wore it when he was very small.

Again, Fairy or other non-bio seemed to be fine.

Nekabu Fri 12-Jun-09 14:05:25

I've washed all of mine ready (Fairy non bio, which is what I use anyway) not only because some clothing/bedding/towels have dressing in them so they look nice in the packaging but they have people handling them/sneezing over them/dropping them on the floor in the shop.

Baisey Fri 12-Jun-09 16:14:54

I didnt blush I know I should of done and I have no excuse.

I remember one lady coming into my store and she had been told on her 20 week scan she was having a girl, she had decorated the nursery, in pink. She had gone out and bought all these lovely girly pink things and lovingly pre-washed them ready for her daughter.
She had a boy.
She couldnt return any of the items.
I felt so bad for her.
BTW this wasnt the reason why I didnt, Im just a bit lazy and never got round to doing it!

AddictedtoCrunchies Fri 12-Jun-09 16:16:57

Washed it all in Fairy non-bio. Did this with all new stuff until he was about 6-8 months. now it gets stuck straight on him.

FWIW - I changed fabric softener a couple of months ago from Fairy to Tesco own and DS's eczsma (sp?) flared right up. Changed back to Fairy and all gone down again.

MrsBonJovi Fri 12-Jun-09 16:21:57

Wash the essentials in non bio...on a quick wash to get rid of nasty chemicals. Doesnt have to be fairy as own brand is fine.

Leave as much as possible in packets in case returns needed or you get duplicates as presents.

When asked is there any thing I can do to help...you say yes actually could you wash this up please to parent/closes friends when baby born and you know the sex/weight etc.....cheeky a little bit but better than having a load of clothes that are wromng size/colur etc.

FifiOK Fri 12-Jun-09 16:22:59

I would chuck all your baby clothes washing in with the rest of the family washing from day 1. Only use non-bio if that's what the rest of the family are using. I didn't pre wash any new baby things apart from a couple of presents that I received that came from smoking households, but I can see why you might want to do so. We are a non-allergy family so I was not too worried.

MrsBonJovi Fri 12-Jun-09 16:26:51

addicted....fabric conditionor isnt recommended if you have excema. My son has it and I may well now try fairy if its worked for you!

Jojay Fri 12-Jun-09 16:27:15

Did with Ds1. (PFB)

Didn't with Ds2.

I can imagine it doesn't happen with many second children wink

And I used non bio until I realized it doesn't get poo stains out. So now baby stuff gets chucked in with everything else and washed with Persil bio wink grin

MrsBonJovi Fri 12-Jun-09 16:29:42

this iswhy i would always wash new clothes now!

thumbwitch Fri 12-Jun-09 16:30:25

No. Not unless I bought it secondhand.

I have a mixed message with the washing stuff - I use Ecover non-bio powder, Napisan on the nappies and Lenor fabric conditioner - no skin problems here.

If things get stained up I pre-soak them in Vanish, then wash in ecover.

I know, not exactly sane!

TheDevilWearsYFronts Fri 12-Jun-09 16:33:35

I did with my first and lovingly ironed everything too. Haven't ironed a childs garment since.

Nekabu Fri 12-Jun-09 17:21:56

Am obviously going to be a Bad Mother as the only thing I've ironed is a dress for a wedding and I only ironed that as it looked very obviously creased.

gizzy1973 Fri 12-Jun-09 17:59:16

I wash all our stuff with the blue washing ball (cant remember the name) due to dh excema so will wash all baby stuff in that first

the only thing is they are useless for stains and things staying white

crokky Fri 12-Jun-09 18:13:16

I did wash all of DD's and most of DS's stuff first and I still do. I just used a small amount of my ordinary non bio liquid (that I use anyway). No softener or anything (I don't use anythign anyway), just tumble dry clothes.

CherryChoc Fri 12-Jun-09 18:21:47

I never washed any of the clothes we got, whether they were secondhand or new. However DS hasn't got sensitive skin, DP bought normal pampers wipes -ie not newborn/sensitive ones, so doubly "harsh"- in the hospital and used them from the first nappy change, I wasn't really paying attention at the time! He had absolutely no reaction at all. We have also used bio washing powder (gets poo/weaning stains out better) and I chop and change brand depending on what's on offer, and haven't had a problem. I'm a bit cynical about this washing clothes before wearing, because the only way I heard about it was on a fairy non bio advert! But I know quite a lot of babies do have sensitive skin.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Fri 12-Jun-09 20:17:20

As you can't tell upfront whether they have sensitive skin, I would wash a few things beforehand (enough for first couple of days), but not too much in case you need to take stuff back, either cos you realise it's just not suitable or you've bought more than you need, or because of the size - if you have a big baby they might hardly get through any "newborn" size clothes before moving up to 0-3!

ilovetochat Fri 12-Jun-09 20:21:25

i washed all the first size stuff and moses basket sheets and left everything else in packets till we knew the sex for sure.
dd has very sensitive skin and i used cotton wool to wash/nappy changes and it helped.

Hug0m0nkey Fri 12-Jun-09 22:03:56

I use fairy non-bio and a small amount of fairy softener.

I would never mix my Dc's clothes in the same load as mine or Dh's yukky underwear and socks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now