Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to take with indigestion

(10 Posts)
Gromit78 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:22:00

So I have been suffering from really bad indigestion of late. I have some Rennie tablets, but is there any other natural way of ridding oneself of this pregnancy plague? I prefer not taking anything for my pregnancy plagues if I can avoid it.

alana39 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:47:52

What exactly do you mean by indigestion - is it heartburn? Anyway, Gaviscon works wonders and is completely safe. I lived on it for 3 months in 2 pregnancies. I love the taste, I know some people don't but I think there might be a choice of flavours now?

Natural methods tend to involve things like raising head of bed / not eating anything rich or spicy / not eating too close to bedtime. Have to say I prefer a bottle of thick goo coating your gullet.

ilovetiramisu Thu 11-Jun-09 21:04:27

I second the Gaviscon. I don't think Rennie's are recommended in pregnancy. Last time I asked the pharmacist they said the only thing to take was Gaviscon. You can get it in tablets as well as liquid. Your GP will prescribe it for you though.

Gromit78 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:26:44

According to the Rennie packet it is safe to take during pregnancy, but I will buy a bottle of Gaviscon instead. It's definately indegestion I suffer from and it's most uncomfortable at night. i have to get the balance right when it comes to eating in the evening, I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with indejestion, but i don't want to wake up hungry either.

nancy75 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:30:27

if it gets really bad your gp can give you something else, i thinks its called rantidine or something like that! i had terrible heartburn throughout my pregnancy, to the point where i was drinking gaviscon from the bottle - i cant even look at the stuff now! when you go to bed try to keep yourself slightly elevated, if you can sleep with a couple of extra pillows it does help. i also found that milk helped on not too bad days, but in some people it can make it worse.

Car73 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:36:01

I had terrible indigestion first pregnancy and lived on Rennie, this time round though cold milk works even better!!

manyhatson Thu 11-Jun-09 23:16:16

It's been Rennies all the way for me as I've had indigestion for months now and did with DD1.

Mornings and the middle of the night are generally worst for me so I think it's the empty stomach thing that's sets it off - I find that ANYTHING on an empty stomach gives me acid, even plain live yogurt. Cheese croissants are the worst culprints which is a bummer.

tokentotty Thu 11-Jun-09 23:19:48

Zantac. Kept me sane both times. Is a brand name for Ranitidine (sp) and I did call my local pharmacist to confirm it was ok to take when pg. The major plus side is that it's just a little tablet that you swallow with water so one quick sip of water and its done.

justlookatthatbooty Fri 12-Jun-09 07:39:05

Clay powder from the health food shop. Tasteless, goes down really easily (dissolved in water) and works a miracle. Truly! It's a long recommended heartburn cure, when pregnant or not pregnant. I've been using daily and haven't had any heartburn whatsover since taking it. Good luck!

Nekabu Fri 12-Jun-09 09:57:16

Another vote for Gaviscon. I had a bit of heartburn earlier on and found a diet Pepsi got rid of it but the last few weeks I've had it quite badly and Gaviscon has done the trick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now