Talk

Advanced search

Is there ANYTHING a knocked up girl can take for hayfever?? (just hide the other two threads)

(14 Posts)
Flamesparrow Thu 11-Jun-09 18:26:33

Posting in 3 sections because I couldn't decide!

Hayfever is a nightmare atm, and to make matters worse, when my eyes itch, I tend to get drowsy and fall asleep given 5 seconds peace blush

My last 2 pregnancies I had some freakish hormone thing kick in where I had no symptoms for hayfever. This time not so good - sneezing, oodles of eye rubbing and so tired.

Is there anything I can take?!?!

Melp77 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:24:59

my doctor has prescribed me beconase, go to your GP and see what he recommends for your symptoms

karmannlass Thu 11-Jun-09 19:51:48

Have you tried eat locally produced honey? It works for me L x

hairband Thu 11-Jun-09 20:19:17

Neilmed Sinus Rinse worked for me, takes a bit of getting used to. Sold on amazon amongst other places..

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 11-Jun-09 20:20:50

Elderflower cordial, a glass first thing in the morning. It works really well for me, no idea why. You can get it everywhere.

Milliemuffin Thu 11-Jun-09 20:40:12

There's another thread where someone has asked about piriton. I took New Era (it's homeopathic and yes it does work!) throughout pregnancy with DS. It's about £4.50 from Holland & Barrett and you can take it up to every half hour if it's bad. It does take a couple of weeks to take effect but for me it was the only thing that worked even last year when I wasn't pregnant.

haraslou Thu 11-Jun-09 22:35:13

Beconase, or flixonase are ok. I took them in both my pgs. My sis is a doc and took sometime researching them. Check with your doc.

Qally Fri 12-Jun-09 07:02:26

Piriton is completely fine. The NHS has a service that specifically deals with drug safety in pregnancy, and they say it is, because so many women have accidentally taken it when pregnant over the last 50 years, and no problems have ever been recorded. They can't formally test drugs in pregnancy, for obvious ethical reasons, but that's about as good as it gets.

Milliemuffin, if you believe homeopathy has a medical impact, what makes you sure it is safe in pregnancy? I mean, either it only works by harnessing the placebo effect (I agree that that still constitutes working) so is safe; or it has an active effect on the body, so could adversely affect pregnancy... and needs testing?

Flamesparrow Fri 12-Jun-09 07:59:10

Right, I think I am going to go and see about getting some beconase (can't take piriton, makes my heart race - it does send me hyper which is cool for getting stuff done, but probably less so for the baby )

Thank you!

FlightofFancy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:06:44

You can use nasal sprays - as others have said - and also eye drops (Sodium chromoglycate or something). I had a long conversation with the pharmacist about it - I'm really struggling without tablets this year - and he took me through his 'big book of medicines'. He did say to make extra sure you use the nose spray within the daily limits on the instructions.

Rhubarb Fri 12-Jun-09 14:10:07

When I was up the duff I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I was not to take anti-histamines. However that advice seems to vary from GP to GP. They say don't take it in the latter stages in case it makes the baby drowsy when you go into labour.

But if you google pregnancy and anti-histamines, it gives you a list of anti-histamines that are considered safe to use in pregnancy.

Moosy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:12:13

I've been prescribed Benedryl and Beconase this time and last time.

sifuentes Fri 12-Jun-09 15:51:45

You can use the salve you put on your nose. Apparently it is really really good. in health food shopes - but can't remember what it's called good luck.

GracieGirl Fri 12-Jun-09 17:54:19

Locally produced honey seems to be working for me. Eat some every day, ideally starting through the winter before hayfever season, but I only started it a few weeks ago and it seems to be working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now