Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Polyhydramniosis at 38 weeks, 4 days - stressed out!

(5 Posts)
Diege Thu 11-Jun-09 17:53:25

38 weeks and 4 days today, and have (up to now) been measuring to my 'next' week throughout the pregnancy (ie, 36 wks at 35 plus 4, etc etc). So today mw tells me I'm measuring 41 weeks at 38 plus 4, and can feel excess fluid on palpation. Of course am panicking like mad after googling (what a mistake). Have appointment booked to see consultant next Thursday, but mw doesn;t think I'll last that long as am having irregular contractions and never went further than 39 plus 2 with dds. Just wondering why it's developed now and not earlier on in the pregnancy, and what the implications might be for labour? Anyone else developed it so late? Thanks smile

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Thu 11-Jun-09 18:17:20

Bumping for you...

Diege Thu 11-Jun-09 20:11:14

Thanks SES!

dottyaboutstripes Thu 11-Jun-09 21:08:19

I had polyhydramnios but it was diagnosed at 34 weeks........I wouldn't worry too much right now as of course it could turn out that you don't have it - at 38 weeks, I was measuring 45cm.

If you DO turn out to have it, the major risk is cord prolapse when your waters go, so it's likely that they might want to induce and carry out controlled ARM to avoid that from happening. I ended up needing a c-section, but I had the added complication of my baby being breech......

Try not to worry - googling can be such a bad idea as you come across the very worst case scenario! Good luck

Diege Fri 12-Jun-09 08:23:39

Thanks DOTTY, I really appreciate you replying smile. You're right, the mw can only suspect ph, not confirm it by fundal height etc, and I think I'll actually go into labour before my appointment with consultant next week. Just concerned about my options in labour etc if this happens, as planning using birth pool etc. Yes, I will stop googling! I think because it's developed so late (if it is ph) and I'm only measuring 2cm over weeks, it would be a mild case anyway. Just hard to get things in perspective after a very anxious pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now