Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

blood results at 28 weeks

(4 Posts)
AwayWithTheFaries Thu 11-Jun-09 11:19:40

had bloods taken Monday the GP phoned me last night to say i was anemic and there was a prescription in the chemist for me
iv got a copy of my blood results and HB is 10.3 is that my iron levels? and is that really low?
also iv been prescribed ferrous sulphate 200mg tablets the GP said there are no side effects but i wondered if anyone knows any different!
thank you

Hawkmoth Thu 11-Jun-09 11:27:26

The tablets may be fine with you, but common side effects include digestive upsets like constipation, or if you're like me, soft green poo, bloating and the smelliest farts ever recorded.

Many people recommend Spatone, which is available from Boots and healthfood shops if you can afford it. I can't! But luckily my levels went back up even though I could only manage an Iron tablet every other day (or on the days when I didn't have to work... it was difficult to hide the smell!).

AwayWithTheFaries Thu 11-Jun-09 11:48:53

i did do a search on here and the side effects didnt sound good! and im working too i think ill take them for a few days and see what happens!

Hawkmoth Thu 11-Jun-09 12:12:18

If you take them with fruit juice that helps iron absorption.

If you drink a litre of fruit juice with them, you will feel like the cow that got into the orchard and ate half a tonne of fallen apples! That's one of my top pregnancy tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now