Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a Moses basket, crib and cot?

(25 Posts)
cairnterrier Wed 10-Jun-09 20:08:54

Am taking much pleasure in surfing the net making lists of things to buy. Am getting a little confused over sleeping arrangements for the tiddly peep when they arrive.

Could they go straight in a cot? What is the advantage of a Moses basket?

I'm a bit of a shop's dream as I will happily nod and go along with whatever they say I need but 3 beds in potentially 6 months does seem a lot even for me. Thanks everyone x

differentID Wed 10-Jun-09 20:11:19

Moses baskets are much smaller and can help make a tiny baby feel more secure in the first few weeks.

olivo Wed 10-Jun-09 20:11:40

they can go straight in a cot.
we never had a crib, started off with a moses basket ( couldnt fit the cot in our room) and she moved to the cot in her room at about 4 months. i stayed in there with her till 6 months.

or maybe you could borrow a crib or basket?

dal21 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:12:50

I bought a cot before DS was born. Thought a moses basket sounded ridiculous. Then he arrived and was so diddy, DH was sent out to buy moses basket before we arrived home - I didnt want to let him out of my sight! It is very handy for the first 6/8 weeks as they can stay in which ever room you are in.

However I also bought an amby baby natures nest. Which was a godsend for the first 4 months!

So I guess DS did end up with 3 beds. blush

bettyjack Wed 10-Jun-09 20:13:25

Hey!,

I am on my 3rd pregnancy with our youngest being just 10 months. To save on the pennies and until you get used to what you need etc etc, my personal view is just stick with the Moses basket, our little one moved in to a cot at 6 months! lol - it was so mobile as well. She moved well in to the cot then went through the whole seperation anxiety thing for about 3 weeks and now she just goes stright off in her cot and sleeps through till 8am.

When I had my first I brought all 3! a moses a crib and a cot!! lol

Beleive me the best thing is the moses, it keeps you close with the baby and strngthens the bond you have together and then when they are more in to a routine they can go in to a cot in their own room.
I hope this help!

KingRolo Wed 10-Jun-09 20:15:08

Moses basket very useful in the early weeks as it's portable. We carried dd from room to room in hers, don't know where we would have put her if we hadn't had one.

See if you can get a second hand basket and cot - usually loads to be found on ebay.

bettyjack Wed 10-Jun-09 20:15:44

Ps...

Just advice try and hold out on the spending....as they really really really do need nothing but you, food and nappies! :0

lol

funtimewincies Wed 10-Jun-09 20:15:55

Depends how much space you have really.

Our bedroom wasn't big enough to accomodate a cot as well as our bed so we knew that having ds in with us for 6 months wasn't possible. On the other hand, I wasn't comfortable with him being in his own room from day 1 (as well as being a pain for breastfeeding in the night) so we borrowed a moses basket from a friend for the first couple of months. We never used a crib, he went straight into a cot at about 12 weeks when he grew out of the basket.

My friend is due a couple of months before me this time, so we might not be able to borrow it again but I'll definitely buy one if this is the case and sell it on later. I can't face the thought of midnight trecks in the middle of winter to feed this one every couple of hours (and I'd never sleep for worry) smile.

PinkyMinxy Wed 10-Jun-09 20:16:24

We have a gliding crib. It has done our three babies and one of the neighbours. THey work very well if you don't want a full size cot in your room. My last <<sob>> baby is asleep in it right now aged 7.5 months and it has been fab.

They come up quite reasonably on ebay.

Never bothered with a moses basket as they are grown out of too fast. A carrycot from a pram would do the same job as a moses.

I think the other good option if you have space is a sidecar cot.

As far as carrying baby from room to room I used a sling a lot for my newborns.

MakemineaGandT Wed 10-Jun-09 20:17:10

If you are buying a pram with a carry cot you can use the carry cot bit as a portable moses basket thingy to avoid buying a moses basket which will get used for a short while and then gather dust in the loft....!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 10-Jun-09 20:18:11

My ds's outgrew their moses baskets before 6 months old so we got a crib too so that they could stay in our room until they were 6 months old (we haven't got the room for a cot in our room).

We got a brand new crib from an e-bay shop for £20.

If you can borrow a moses basket and / or crib that would be great - just get new mattresses.

Wilkiepedia Wed 10-Jun-09 20:20:41

Personally I would go for a moses basket and cot. We actually only kept DS1 in our room in the moses basket for 5 weeks, then I put the moses basket inside the cot for him to sleep in for a few weeks before making transition to cot.

We borrowed a crib from a friend but he didn't take to it so I was glad we didn't buy one! Beg borrow and steal what you can initially - if baby likes it, you can then buy new if you so wish.

MildredRoper Wed 10-Jun-09 20:24:17

For us, the biggest advantage of having a crib was that you can rock it whilst lying in bed half asleep.

My dd was a terrible sleeper and just would not settle in the moses basket. She needed a lot of rocking in the early days to get her off to sleep.

alana39 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:28:51

I think a crib is often better just because they last longer (I have had big babies, moses basket wouldn't have made it through the 6 months in our room and like lots of others above didn't have room for the cot in there). But I know lots of people swear by moses baskets so you need to think about how you live.

If you're due soonish you might actually find a carrycot for pushchair is even more useful as you can stick it on the buggy and get outside - can't do that with a moses basket, but they're about the same size so if you do want a cosy first bed it will do the same job. We had to use ours for about a week as the crib had no instructions and we couldn't work it out until they arrived in the post (baby arrived early on the day DH was finally about to put it up!)

Oh, and remember you don't actually have to carry them with you everywhere you go around the house (so a slightly heavier carrycot as opposed to moses basket isn't really a problem) - you are allowed to make a cup of tea / have a shower without the baby. Make the most of it, I couldn't go to the toilet on my own for 4 years with little boys following me in there grin

seeker Wed 10-Jun-09 20:29:03

Mine had a moses basket because it was very convenient for them to nap in in the living room or wherever else I happened to be. The then went straight from Moses basket to a futon mattress on the floor - mine never had cots at all.

Cots are not necessary!

fishie Wed 10-Jun-09 20:29:40

i had a big cot on loan and ds stayed in it till he went into own room / own bed at 20m. co-slept for first 9 months. used moses basket to keep books and nappies etc handy by bed for night feeds.

vibrating bouncy chair best buy ever.

but i had a non-sleeper, maybe see what you can borrow and how it goes?

Qally Wed 10-Jun-09 22:47:23

I was determined my son would go into a cot from day one.

He still co-sleeps at 8 months. blush

I'd wait till you see how you parent before you spend any cash. Babies and theories don't tend to gel, IME.

The carrycot on the pram was great for daytime napping, though.

GoodWitchGlinda Wed 10-Jun-09 22:57:52

A moses basket is good because you can take it up and down stairs while the DC sleeps all through the day. You can't do that with a cot.

I had a moses basket and cotbed at the start. Baby slept in moses basket all the time, but sometimes, i put the basket IN the cotbed, so she would get used to being in the bed. Then the transition out of the basket and into the cotbed was easier.

mrswee Thu 11-Jun-09 08:53:12

We have a crib that has been passed through generations of our family, my grandfather had it whne he was a baby! I will be getting a new matress of course!

I was just wondering if a moses basket would be useful in addition to the crib in the first few weeks??
- The crib would only be in our bedroom and not easy to move around the house.

what do you think? this is my first baby and I'm a novice!

weegiemum Thu 11-Jun-09 08:58:32

We just had a cot.

ninja Thu 11-Jun-09 09:05:32

Just to say that charity shops usually have moses baskets outside as they get used for sooo little time. Most kids out of them by 6 weeks.

If you have a pram with a carrycot you could use that just as easily

chaya5738 Thu 11-Jun-09 09:19:01

We are using a pram with a carrycot (for day time) and a baby hammock (which hangs from the ceiling next to our bed) for night time. We will buy a cot once the baby is about 5-6 months.

GoodWitchGlinda Thu 11-Jun-09 10:35:20

mrswee - yes, a moses basket is definitely worth having as you can use it anywhere in the house or outside as nice flat place for the baby to sleep during the day.

Doesn't have to cost a lot and is much nicer than then having to nap in a car seat or bouncy chair that isn't flat.

Plus you can take it to other people's houses if you are visiting for a day and the baby will want lots of naps, or even to use for an overnight stay.

GoodWitchGlinda Thu 11-Jun-09 10:35:30

mrswee - yes, a moses basket is definitely worth having as you can use it anywhere in the house or outside as nice flat place for the baby to sleep during the day.

Doesn't have to cost a lot and is much nicer than then having to nap in a car seat or bouncy chair that isn't flat.

Plus you can take it to other people's houses if you are visiting for a day and the baby will want lots of naps, or even to use for an overnight stay.

mrswee Thu 11-Jun-09 21:01:52

Thanks GoodWitchGlinda it does seem like a good idea.

I'm going to a NTC nearly new sale at the weekend so I will try and pick one up there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now