Advanced search

I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow. What questions should i ask?

(12 Posts)
Phoenix Wed 10-Jun-09 19:42:26

I'm 35wks pg with no. 2.

I had an emerg c-section with DS due to failure to progress, he weighed 9lb 2oz.

I have developed gestational diabetes in this pregnancy and have been measuring large for dates since 28wks.

I want to ask for an elective c-section because i'm scared i'll go through hours of labour again and just end up with an emergency one again. I haven't had a growth scan but with ds been big they said at the beginning they would keep an eye on the size of this one so they may mention that tomorrow. They have said if the baby is big they would consider inducing at 37wks but i absolutely don't want to be induced.

It's the diabetic team i'll be seeing tomorrow. What should i ask?

Phoenix Wed 10-Jun-09 20:02:38

Do you think they'll discuss a c-section at 35wks?

dal21 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:17:59

At 35 weeks, they definitely should be discussing options with you. And if they dont, then insist on full discussions.

I am also concerned that they are discussing induction with you. I have not only read (but also be outright told by my obs) that they will not induce women who have had previous deliveries via c section. It is too high risk.

If it is an elective c section you want, then you must let them know that in no uncertain terms. They can do delivery via elective at 37 weeks if they want, your bub is full term.

dal21 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:20:52

Just googled quickly and confirmed that professionals will not induce after c section as the drugs they use can rupture the scar. Induction is totally out for you!

Sorry to sound so emphatic. grin

Phoenix Wed 10-Jun-09 20:24:50

I thought that too, thanks for answering me

MrsHappy Wed 10-Jun-09 20:34:19

I don't know how the diabetes part impacts but otherwise would be surprised if you weren't offered a section this time around. When you have had one before the NICE Guidelines state that maternal preference is a consideration that should be taken into account when discussing mode of delivery. Just make it really clear what you want.

I was told at my hopital that some consultants will induce using a bit of syntocin (but I think not the prostin gel), but that is a question of (your) choice. You do not have to accept induction.

Phoenix Thu 11-Jun-09 08:54:06

Thanks MrsHappy. I say when they mentioned an induction that i didn't think they did it after a sectin and they said sometimes they do.

I know i absolutely don't want to be induced so that's one thing i'll def be putting accross

Phoenix Thu 11-Jun-09 08:56:38

Say?? said

Fanjita Thu 11-Jun-09 09:14:49

I had a large baby (10lb 2oz) and had to have an emergency c-section after getting to 9cm then going backwards. When I saw the consultant at 9 wks for this pregnancy she practically suggested a c-section due to the probability of having a large baby again. If you've had a previous c-section I don't think they would baulk at doing an elective one.

Good luck with your discussions. Stick to your guns

dal21 Thu 11-Jun-09 18:25:51

How did you get on?

Phoenix Thu 11-Jun-09 18:48:05

Hi, well the consultant was really nice and has given me 2 options.

1. I'm going in at 38wks and they're going to do a sweep and see if they can break my waters to induce labour. They will not use prostin due to my previous c-section. It's completely my decision if they take this route.

2. I have an elective c-section booked for July 10th (39wks)

They said it's pointless doing a growth scan as they know its probably a big baby. I was measuring 43cms today at 34+6 shock

dal21 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:42:13

Fantastic news! 2 great options and sounds as though totally your choice.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

<<Am wondering if there is one way or another you are swaying tho grin>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now