Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Small Sac for 9 weeks but HB ok?

(6 Posts)
Gembar Wed 10-Jun-09 18:55:47

Hi Everyone!

This is my forth pregnancy, unfortunatly I have had one neonatal loss, 1 MC and a pefect 3 year old boy so being pregnant again is a very scary time for me . Because of my previous problems the Doc sent me for an early scan today and it didn't go to well. The baby looks ok and HB is fine but the sac is too small. The consultant said basically this puts me at a higher risk of MC but they are hoping it will right itself in 2 wks at my next scan. I feel like I am going to go mad by then waiting...

Has anyone else had a similar experience with a good or bad outcome?

Thanks, Gem

Thandeka Wed 10-Jun-09 19:20:37

So sorry to hear about your losses. Are you sure of your dates? If not it and you ovulated later than you think you did it may mean your sac is too small? Or was the fetal pole measuring 9 weeks but the sac too small around that?

Afraid I have no experience of such a scan but I know many womens scans don't give "perfect results" but after an anxious week or 2 of waiting a further scan reveals all to be okay. Not all embryos develop at exactly the same rate. I am in the wait for a scan too- had to be referred after suspected ectopic- scan showed sac, probably fetal pole but no HB (but fine for dates- too early for HB) so have to wait for next scan to check it is developing properly. So fingers crossed for both of us in next few weeks.
xxx

Gembar Wed 10-Jun-09 19:47:56

Thanks so much Thandeka! Yes the dates are right, it's the sac around the fetus that is too small.

Yes fingers crossed for both of us, it's an anxious wait now The best thing to do is keep busy, although easier said than done.

Take care x

Thandeka Wed 10-Jun-09 21:31:55

Yeah I am signed off work during my wait which isnt helping time go any faster!

Come hang out with us on the "four weeks and bricking it lounge" if you want to help pass the time- a few people in similar boat waiting for "one way or other scans" oh and we arent all 4 weeks any more (but many of us have a history of MC hence the bricking it!). I'm 6weeks tommorrow having got pregnant again immediately after a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks at end of April. Eeep!

Anyhow look after yourself.
xxx

YanknCock Wed 10-Jun-09 22:38:31

I'm hesitating a bit about writing this, but you said you wanted good or bad outcomes...

I had blood tests at 6 weeks to check HCG levels were doubling (because I'd reported loss of pregnancy symptoms to GP). The HCG levels were still rising, but not doubling in 48 hours. I got referred for an early scan at 6+5 and was shown the baby with heartbeat, so thought everything was okay. They said the sac was smaller than it should be, and told me to come back in 10 days for a repeat scan.

No one said anything about it being a higher risk of miscarriage; however, I went home and found a medical journal article that concluded a small sac size was a good predictor of miscarriage. I didn't tell DH about the article (didn't want him to worry), but wish I had told him, as he was completely surprised when I miscarried a few days later. I was shocked and sad of course, but from reading that article I wasn't as surprised as DH.

You are already two weeks farther than I was, so I hope you will have a better outcome. Will keep everything crossed for you.

Gembar Thu 11-Jun-09 07:40:07

Thank you Yankncock I need to prepare myself for a bad outcome. All I can do is hope everything is ok and the sac catches up with the growth of the baby, they were so faigue at the hospital which hasn't helped

Thanks Again,

Gem x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now