Talk

Advanced search

ANYONE know if you can take piriton when pregnant??

(36 Posts)
QueenofVenus Wed 10-Jun-09 17:51:21

Am suffering sad and need to take something, im only just pregnant though!

PerfectPrefect Wed 10-Jun-09 17:52:04

I have a feelingt the answer is no

PerfectPrefect Wed 10-Jun-09 18:00:10

Official word on piriton website is that "the safety of this medicine in pregancy has not be established....especially important in first and third trimesters"

There is a thread on here where teh jury is out here. But many of the instances where people on that thread were diagnosed with PUPPS or obstetric choelstasis where the benefits far outway any potential risks.

dal21 Wed 10-Jun-09 18:00:27

apparently quite sparingly. there was something about this on my antenatal thread. let me go have a looksie.

QueenofVenus Wed 10-Jun-09 18:01:46

Oh ok then thankyou PP smile appreciate your help smile

QueenofVenus Wed 10-Jun-09 18:02:26

Thanks dal21!

jellycat Wed 10-Jun-09 18:04:03

I was told by a GP to take it for PUPPP. I was 40 weeks though. I would consult a doctor if I were you, especially since you are in the early stages.

Milliemuffin Wed 10-Jun-09 18:30:19

Pop to Holland&Barrett and get some New Era for Hayfever, about £4.50. I took it throughout pregnancy with DS and am taking it again now. You can take it every half hour as it helps build up a natural resilience to it. You have to take it for a couple of weeks regularly, couple of times a day before you get the benefit but I wouldn't be without it.

winjy Wed 10-Jun-09 18:40:01

hey queen i was told by my doctor that hayfever tablets are not to be taken in pregnancy...

olivo Wed 10-Jun-09 19:42:04

i had piriton for the final 6 weeks for PUPP. this time round, i have had a steroid nasal spray for hayfever. since about 16 weeks.

CarGirl Wed 10-Jun-09 19:44:33

I was told at my allergy clinic it was fine to take piriton when pregnant but best to wait until past 14 weeks if I could. I took it in my last 3 pregancies and all is well with them.

Gembar Wed 10-Jun-09 19:55:35

I am so confused by conflcting advice. My HF is terrible at the moment and I have read that Piriton is fine but I phoned my GP to double check and he said No Way! So he prescibed Flixonase which has helped a bit The pharmacist did say to me that the makers of Piriton say it's safe for pregnant women and they are ok to sell it to us!! hmmm so I really don't know what to do...

CarGirl Wed 10-Jun-09 20:11:45

I think I was told that because piriton has been around for so long if there were any problems they would have come to light by now. Let's face it I was taking 2 a day until I found out I was pregant (6-7 weeks) and then would only take when desperate until 14 weeks etc etc.

Have you tried eat locally produced honey?

Wilkiepedia Wed 10-Jun-09 20:14:09

HI, I have been taking 4 Piriton per day for PUPPP rash (from 36+5 weeks pg), apparently it is the only one safe in pg, however, I would get a prescription from your GP rather than buy over the counter so you can double check.

Kitsilano Wed 10-Jun-09 20:16:37

Here you go - from the NHS

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/935.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=128

NHS say "Antihistamines are not licensed for use in pregnancy. However, the older (sedating) antihistamines (such as chlorpheniramine) are usually considered safe to take in pregnancy. "

I believe Piriton is clorpheniramine.

HTH

CarGirl Wed 10-Jun-09 20:17:22

yes Piriton is clorpheniramine

Wilkiepedia Wed 10-Jun-09 20:18:08

Piriton IS clorpheniramine - have just checked my packet. HTH!

Milliemuffin Wed 10-Jun-09 20:24:26

Sorry - forgot to mention that new era is Homepathic so perfectly safe...

"A homoeopathically prepared biochemic remedy for hay fever and allergic rhinitis.
New Era Biochemic Remedies are homoeopathically prepared from safe, natural and non-habit forming ingredients."

http://www.superliving.co.uk/pharmacy/your-health/allergies/hay-fever/new-era-h-hay fever-and-allergic-rhinitis-450-tablets-2.html

ActivityApple Wed 10-Jun-09 20:32:05

Message withdrawn

dal21 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:40:18

Ok - sorry for delayed response. grin Cut and paste from my antenatal thread...following long chat with pharmacist and consultation of his guide.

on the hayfever I had a long chat with my local pharmacist on this the other week when it was hot (and I was going mental with my nose practically falling off). You can use eyedrops (sodium glyo-something?) and you can use limited amounts of the nose spray stuff. Pharmacists went through his prescribing manual with me and it said 'benefits outweigh the risks' for the steroid nosespray, and he was happy to sell it to me as long as you use within instructed limits and as little as possible (so with the recent rainy days I've managed to do without most of the time). Because it's sprayed on rather than tablet, apparently that makes any risk MUCH lower.
If you're really struggling 'the book' said you could have Piriton - as long as you don't mind it sending you to sleep!

felicity10 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:46:50

I just bought Hay Max - it is a balm that you put just under your nose and it "catches" the pollen. Works really well - I didn't think it would as I get it quite bad, but does work. They sell it in boots.

Kitsilano Wed 10-Jun-09 21:08:24

"Sorry - forgot to mention that new era is Homepathic so perfectly safe..."

and utterly useless!

Sorry. Can't help it when it comes to homeopathy.

xxhunnyxx Wed 10-Jun-09 22:31:33

They wouldn't sell me Piriton in Boots but my GP gave me a prescription for it, so yes u can take it but ur only supposed to take it if ur GP says u can.

Qally Wed 10-Jun-09 22:42:57

You can definitely take it when pregnant.

I had awful hives at 6 weeks, and called my out-of-hours service. They didn't know - so they called the NHS' own internal helpline for doctors treating pregnant women for advice. (It's called the Teratological Service or something.) This service said that you obviously can't run clinical trials on pregnant women, so no drugs are recommended in pregnancy unless greatly needed, but that Piriton's active ingredient has been taken for almost 50 years by pregnant women, and never caused any concern. They stressed, in fact, that it was specifically Piriton I should take, as it's so old they can be confident any ill effects would be apparent by now. More recent antihistamines they just don't know enough about, because not enough accidentally acquired data has been compiled.

I took it and my hives went down. My son is 8 months and a healthy great lump!

Milliemuffin Wed 10-Jun-09 22:47:13

Believe me - 100% without a doubt not totally useless.

I've had hayfever worse than anyone i know and anyone my boyfriend knows since i was 12 and it worked for me when nothing else would (my sister works for gsk and i've tried everything under the sun believe me! My mum started using it last year and it works for her too.

As for the placebo effect I'm well aware of it but i wouldnt have carried on taking it if it wasn't working!

Don't knock it til you tried it! If it works then why not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now