Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Questions about anti nausea medication

(13 Posts)
sifuentes Wed 10-Jun-09 13:29:49

My doctore has diagnosed me with Hyperemesis. I'm not sure if that's right since although I feel hidesouly nauseous pretty much 24/7 I am probably only sick about 4 times a day. Once for breakfast one for lunch and twice for supps. grin
I don't have ketones in my pee or anything.
I've been like this since about 4 1/2 weeks. On and off. There has been the odd day when I have been able to walk around a bit.

Anyway yesterday my GP offered me meds but I turned them down.

My questions are:

1) How bad should you be before you take them?
2) Do they have side effects for you/bean and if not then why are doctors so reluctant to prescribe them?
3) Do they stop nausea or only the vomming?

Thanks very much in advance.

sifuentes Wed 10-Jun-09 13:31:47

Oh and also each time I have gone to work I have ended up being like the exorcist. Knew I was allergic to work.
Nobutsrsly - does anyone else find that travelling just finishes them off?

Seeline Wed 10-Jun-09 13:34:24

I've just posted on another thread about this! I had HG with pg1 so much that although not hospitalised I barely left the house for 4 months and was signed off work. I was offered no meds then. When it started again with pg2 I demanded them. I think if hg is so dibilitating (sp?) that it has an impact on your daily life, then you should consider meds. In my case I had a 2yo toddler to look after and I knew that this wasn't possible - I couldn't face food/cooking and nappies..... My gp gave me phenergan - an antihistimine also used ofr travel sickness. It stopped the constant nausea and I was only sick a few times. It did make me very drowsy. And to reassure you pg2 will be 5 next mnth - no side effects at all.

sifuentes Wed 10-Jun-09 13:34:37

Oh and finally

Not been great on the folic acid [guilty face emoticon]

and doctor without an e

and I am now a bit under 9 weeks. (Pyschologically better than saying 81/2!)

belgo Wed 10-Jun-09 13:35:20

I was prescribed medication when I had lost 6 kgs in the first trimester, consistently had large ketones in my urine and was vomiting up small amounts of blood. The tablets didn't really help; nothing helped apart from rest.

sifuentes Wed 10-Jun-09 13:44:50

Hi belgo thanks for answering.
6kg is alot. I have only lost about 2 i think, so far. Sorry you had such a nightmare. I still have bits of blood but rest is definitely helping.

sifuentes Wed 10-Jun-09 13:51:20

Thanks Seeline just seen your response. And will now check out the other thread.

belgo Wed 10-Jun-09 14:26:58

sifuentes - if there is blood in your vomit, then that measn you've damaged your throat or oesophagus, which isn't very good, and this was the reason the doctor gave me for prescribing medication.

Just to let you know, I have since had two more children, and those pregnancies were far better, and the morning sickness in my first pregnancy seems a very long time ago.

Look after yourself, you will get through thissmile

Picante Wed 10-Jun-09 14:29:55

Latest research shows mothers who suffer morning sickness have more intelligent children! I kid you not!

Re meds - I know some of them you have to build it up i.e. it won't work if you take the odd one. I had all sorts prescribed but hardly took any. I found acupuncture took the edge off.

Good luck.

sifuentes Wed 10-Jun-09 15:27:29

Thanks guys. At this point I don't think I ever want to get pregnant ever again. Think I will keep on trucking without meds if they aren't even that helpful.
I had acupuncture last week but was was even worse after. Mind you he only gave me 4 needles. I felt like shouting at him to stick me with 40! grin

mumparez Thu 11-Jun-09 08:30:31

I take motion sickness tablets from Sea Legs.
Sea-Legs is specially formulated to provide effective relief for all the family whether travelling by car, plan, boat or coach.
Sea sickness tablets were the best Travel sickness tablet for my two children. love the fact that they work for 24 hours. Not yet let us down. Good enough for the kids to survive big theme park rides too.

hedgiemum Thu 11-Jun-09 09:40:01

Depends on the meds.

The really good one that works on the vomitting centre in the brain by completely supressing it, is called ondansetron. You can usually only get on it through a consultant, rather than through a GP.

Metoclopromide, stemetil and Cyclizine are commonly tried first. None of them worked for me, but do for many people. Again, to stop actual vomitting.

The only think that I've found to help with nausea is phenergan. It made me feel drowsy, and when I'm sleeping I'm not being sick! It also dried my mouth out, which helped.

If you start feeling all acidic or heartburn then ranitidine tablets really help.

Resting is the key with HG. But you're very early on, so it may get a bit worse in which case you'll need the meds (vomitting x4 a day is quite a lot, any more and I'd imagine you will be getting dehydrated.) Many women find the peak is 9-12 weeks.

sifuentes Thu 11-Jun-09 11:31:14

Thank you so much hedgie that is really really useful.

Having a good day so far today so was hoping that the worse was behind me but perhaps that is because of the time off work and having caught up with Grays Anatomy and ER...hmmm

mumparez I used to take sealegs as a child don't they totally knock you out?! I remember having extreme difficulty in swallowing them. I didn't know they were recommended for pregnancy sickness too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now