Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Drop side on cot?

(13 Posts)
lastboxoftampons Tue 09-Jun-09 16:23:56

I showed my mother the cot we're going to get and she mentioned that she thought it would be difficult as it doesn't have a drop side. I'm about 5'4" - I don't think it will be a problem. Any thoughts?

LIZS Tue 09-Jun-09 17:04:32

as long as it has different base positions so you don't have to bend right over for a newborn it should be fine. I rarely used ours.

lynniep Tue 09-Jun-09 17:12:21

I wish I'd got a dropside for DS - he's now 2 and I just bought him a new cotbed which does have a drop side.

Its quite strenuous on your back to put a small child into the bottom level of a cot when you arent that tall (I'm 5ft5)

Obviously it depends on how heavy they are - DS was always big for his age, but I now have it permantently 'dropped' (kind of in prep for when it comes off completely because he no longer tries to get out, but I still have to lift him in) and its soooo much easier.

DS was attempting to climb out at 12 months, and thats why I needed it on the bottom level. During sleep training, I'd have to lie him down over and over again. I found this very hard work on my back (although to be fair/balanced, I think I'd find repeatedly pulling up the side of the cot a pain in the ar*e as well)

If you havent got one yet, I'd say go for it - at least then you have the option to use it or not.

Sazisi Tue 09-Jun-09 17:16:54

A dropside is much easier, especially if you end up needing a caesarian.
Also makes it easier to rub or pat the baby to sleep, or put the baby into the cot when he or she is asleep.

SarahL2 Tue 09-Jun-09 17:35:12

Couldn't have done without my drop side. DS had only just had the side taken off his cotbed and he's 2.

Certainly wouldn't have been wanting to lower a 2 year old all the way to the bottom of the cot with the side up.

My Mum and MIL both have fixed side cots for when we visit and I've always found them harder to use, especially when he got bigger and wriggly.

MrsHappy Tue 09-Jun-09 17:46:16

My DH broke ours when he built it so the srop side never worked. It didn't matter as the base could be set at various heights. after my CS the base was v high so I didn't need to bend, for example. I'm about the same height as you.

ohdearwhatamess Tue 09-Jun-09 17:53:14

Never really used ours (and it has broken now so I can't), and I'm only 5'2. It has 3 different base positions though, which I found helpful.

timmette Tue 09-Jun-09 18:07:30

Wish I had bought a dropside as mil suggested 3 years ago - I am 5'2 and it was a pain in the back.

lifeinchaos Tue 09-Jun-09 19:02:01

I had a dropside for DC1 I thought it was really important at the time as I had back troubles. I ended up never using it as it was just too noisy and we tiptoed round DC1 so the slightest noise woke her. If i forgot to drop the sides in advance and had a sleeping baby in my arms it was also a bit fiddly. With DC2 I bought one without drop sides and its been fine. DC1 still using original as a cotbed so they couldn't share

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Tue 09-Jun-09 21:11:14

Really glad I have a dropside especially now I've got a massive bump.

Mine doesn't make a noise.

I s'pose I'd have managed but it certainly makes it easier. Especially when we've had a bad night and I've had to get dd in and out repeatedly.

MerlinsBeard Tue 09-Jun-09 21:11:54

I don['t think i ever use the drop side unless i amcleaning up sick (DS1 is now 6)

MrsKitty Wed 10-Jun-09 06:45:54

I'm 5'2" with occasional back probs and didn't have a dropside with DS1.
He was (and still is) in this one I'm only starting to find things difficult now that I'm 5 months pregnant (DS is 2.3) so will probably think about taking the sides off and turning it into a bed soon.

As long as the cot you get has adjustable mattress heights you should be OK - For the first few months you have it on the highest level so even if you have a CS there's not alot of bending involved.

susiey Wed 10-Jun-09 10:10:46

we have a dropside but never used it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now