Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

empty sac at 5 weeks...is this normal please help so upset and scared..

(6 Posts)
winjy Tue 09-Jun-09 12:00:30

just had a scan this morning and they said the sac is elongated which could mean ectopic and they said the sac is empty and ideally at this stage they should be able to see foetal pole. im so scared that something is going wrong..i have to wait a week to go back next tues but i think i may go insane by then...please please please has anyone had anything similar...and what has happened...would rather know either way just hate not knowing

slushy06 Tue 09-Jun-09 12:10:20

winjy on my ds at 7 weeks my scan showed nothing my hormone levels were only going up by 10 - 20 instead of doubling docs were certain he was ectopic and were going to terminate at 8 weeks I even had fluid in a fallopian tube however on the way down to be terminated the chief consultant came and told the doctors that they had to scan me again to be 100% sure and when they did there was my ds. He is now a healthy 3 year old. So don't give up hope I had every sign and he still wasn't mine was caused by a very manual job. Have they taken you in to hospital if not they are not very sure either way yet.

MrsHappy Tue 09-Jun-09 13:07:05

Hi winjy

I'm sorry you have found yourself on the early scan rollercoaster. It sucks.

I assume that by 5 weeks you mean 5 weeks from the start of your last period? If so, I don't think that an empty sac is necessarily something to worry about. In particular if you ovulated a little later than the "standard" day 14 your pregnancy would appear less developed than it otherwise might.

I was scanned at 2 weeks and 4 days from ovulation (so the equivalent of 4+4 LMP) and my consultant said it was completely normal to see an empty sac at that stage. He said that the empty sac was consistent with a pregnancy of "between 4 and 5 weeks".

IME the next step is for your doctor to take blood so that they can tell whether your hormone levels are behaving normally. Have they done this?

chocolatine Tue 09-Jun-09 15:55:44

Hi

I was scanned at 5+2, there was just an empty sac, and doctor said there was no way that it was more than 4+5. I knew when I'd ovulated, and he basically said I might need to prepare for the worst.

My bloods were going up but not doubling.
I went back 9 days later (Boxing Day! - I'd had a horrible Christmas)and saw a little beating heart.
I'm now 30 weeks.
Subsequent scans have shown I was probably right about ovulation and was 5+2 the first time I was scanned.

So - even if it's hard, try not to worry. That's the only thing that you can do at the moment. I think there is really much less certainty in the early stages than websites and even sometimes doctors suggest (according to what I read on the web on bloods, I was probably not having a viable pregnancy...), and there's every chance that when you go back, there will be a heartbeat.

winjy Tue 09-Jun-09 16:06:59

thank you everyone for your reassurance and ur amazing stories...i hope that my story will end up like yours...just got to wait now til tues, my doctor has signed me off for a week so iv got the week to relax?? stupid word to use!! did either of you see the foetal pole when u were told the sac was empty?

mrshappy they've done my bloods and they only went up from 6,000 to 9,000 from fri to mon so thats not great either really...preparing myself for the worst but hanging on to the hope that other success stories are giving me

bratnav Tue 09-Jun-09 16:09:39

I was scanned for dating at what turned out to be 5w+6 and there was only a sac. I sweated and panicked and 2 weeks later there was definitely a little pulsing bean.

Seemingly empty sac not unusual for up to 7 weeks AFAIK, so all is definitely not lost smile

Hope all goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now