Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So what's the deal with taxis when you're in labour?

(31 Posts)
lastboxoftampons Mon 08-Jun-09 11:58:05

I've heard that cabs may not take you if you're in labour as it's a liability. Does anyone have any experience? If that's true, then what's a girl without a car to do? The hospital isn't far, but I wouldn't want to walk and/or take the bus while in labour!

Thanks! smile

MerlinsBeard Mon 08-Jun-09 12:00:36

Ring your local taxi companies and they will tell you if they take women in labour or not. Luckily ours do(well, i do live about 10 mins from hosp) but one said i would have to pay for cab to be cleaned if anything "spilled" in it

MamaG Mon 08-Jun-09 12:02:22

ooh when i had BabyG a woman had her baby in the taxi in teh car park grin

The driver refused to take any money from them and even sent her flowers the next day <melt>

lastboxoftampons Mon 08-Jun-09 12:07:53

MOM - OMG shockgrin How gracious of them!!!!

And Mamag - AWWWWWWWWWW! smile Kinda restores your faith in humanity! grin

Thanks for your responses. Will call our local to see - Would imagine it's not unheard of as we live within a few minutes of Kings in London. But we did have a friend who had to pretend that she was not in labour when the driver looked at her suspiciously (her DH was hours away in Manchester on business when baby came 5 weeks early! shock)

herbaceous Mon 08-Jun-09 12:18:15

Ooh, I need to know this too. We were sure lovely Addison Lee would take me in labour (their cars all seem to have very sensible wipe-down interiors), but they said no. DP is currently researching local alternatives. As I'm 37 weeks, he'd better hurry...

TheProvincialLady Mon 08-Jun-09 12:23:59

I didn't ask. I just called a taxi and got in it. Only an absolute bastard would refuse to take a labouring woman to hospital. I sat on a towel.

lastboxoftampons Mon 08-Jun-09 12:25:41

Herbaceous! HI! grin It's so close! Congrats!!!! grin

cathcat Mon 08-Jun-09 12:44:08

I went in a taxi twice to the hospital (actually 3 times - once there, stayed a few hours, went home again, back to hosp about 6 hours later...) It was fine. DH said he did hear of a taxi driver who has a waterproof sheet in the boot for this reason but don't know if that was true! grin

islandofsodor Mon 08-Jun-09 12:52:45

Its over 7 years ago now but when I had dd we were told in antental classes that if we were in labour and didn't have anyone to drive us there to call an ambulance.

herbaceous Mon 08-Jun-09 13:05:31

Hi Last Box! Terrifyingly close.

Some friends have offered to drive us, but I think they might be slightly less keen when I phone them at 3am, after they've had a night on the booze. I suppose an ambulance is always a possibility. But I'm not going to our local hospital - I wonder if that would make a difference...

Excellent. I do like another thing to worry about!

pinkmagic1 Mon 08-Jun-09 13:08:46

Like someone else said, don't tell them, they would have to be really mean to refuse to take you.

mrsbabookaloo Mon 08-Jun-09 13:13:05

Hello again lastbox....I thought the general rule was minicabs won't, black cabs will.

I went from here (near you) to St Thomas' last time in a black cab twice (they sent me home first time).

This time, I will just roll down the hill to Kings.

maisiestar Mon 08-Jun-09 13:18:50

We used Addison Lee for our second and a black cab for the first. Both times they were lovely - the Addison Lee driver had had a new baby 2 weeks previously and was very sweet. we hadn't said we were in labour wehn we booked it, but called them at 3am requesting a drop off at EGA maternity unit - so i'm guessing they might have realised what was going on.
The black cab one was a brand new cab - it was his second night out - he was lovely as well.
Also as Provinical Lady says, I don't suppose they would refuse and leave a pregnant woman waiting on the street.

and good luck .....

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 08-Jun-09 13:26:42

<<< waves to lastboxoftampons>>>

Go girl! Be sure and get a long form birth certificate so you can register baby lastbox as a US Citizen at the Embassy. smile. You should get several copies....

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 08-Jun-09 13:27:16

and it's labor wink

MerlinsBeard Mon 08-Jun-09 14:24:00

ilovemydog - only if you're americanwink

ActivityApple Mon 08-Jun-09 15:42:41

Message withdrawn

MrsTittleMouse Mon 08-Jun-09 15:44:49

Hurray for Tina!

I was told by both the hospitals that I delivered in (different health authorities) that we were on no account to phone for an ambulance unless it was an emergency situation like the head suddenly crowning or bleeding. Regular labour wasn't enough to justify an ambulance.

KerryMumbles Mon 08-Jun-09 15:51:06

i took one in with ds2

lastboxoftampons Mon 08-Jun-09 15:51:07

THank you for all of your responses.

MrsTittleMouse - that's what I thought RE: the ambulance situation too.

AA - LOL about Tina grin She sounds amazing!

MOM - Oh, but I am! wink

Ilovemydog - grin You're fab! And I didn't realize there was a difference in birth certificates! I'd like to get the baby over to the states October-ish for a visit, so I do want to get that done quickly. Thanks for the tip! smile

Hi MrsBabookaloo! smile How are you doing??

Sorry to bring it up, Herby! wink Just thought it's best to be prepared! I'm 33.5! Can't believe how quickly it's gone! shock Best of luck with your LO!!! smile

sfxmum Mon 08-Jun-09 15:58:02

I took a cab to hospital a couple of times while in labour no problems except for the cabbie who kept looking at the SATNav and the blasted thing kept talking annoyingly
thing is there is no way he could not have known the way from my place to the big main hospital 15 mins away
I kept swearing loudly about ripping the SATNAV and throwing it out of the window

Egg Mon 08-Jun-09 16:02:40

I got a minicab when in labour with DTs last year. I didn't specifically say maternity ward when I called for taxi, but did tell the driver en route. He was fine and asked me to name the boy twin after him (his name was Kevin...).

I was on my own and had nobody to drive me (DH only just made the birth in time). If I had been worried about giving birth en route I would have called an ambulance though.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 08-Jun-09 16:44:38

lastbox As soon as the baby is born, go online to the Embassy web site under American services, and make an appointment online. You'll need the baby's name, otherwise would suggest booking now as seem to remember there being a wait of a few months.

best of luck smile

VerityClinch Mon 08-Jun-09 17:11:20

For anyone in London - I rang the major firms to ask their policy on taking labouring women.

Addison Lee said no, for health and safety reasons. shock

ComCab said yes, no problem, but to mention that you were in labour when calling - and they offered that I could set up an account with them, then I would get priority over non-account calls, and could pay by credit card in case no cash at the crucial moment.

Dial-a-Cab said they would not refuse to take anyone whatever the situation, but they would recommend calling an ambulance hmm - think the ambulance service might have something to say about that!

So ComCab gets my vote!

mrsbabookaloo Mon 08-Jun-09 18:17:03

lastbox: our little ones are half american too, or are yours 100% US? DH is from CA.

Ilovemydog: thanks for the reminder re how to register.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now