Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to dress a newborn in in July

(11 Posts)
Cillapops Mon 08-Jun-09 09:59:38

I am due to have my baby in 4 weeks time and am just starting to get my bag together.

How many layers does a newborn need in the Summer? Do we still need a short-sleeved vest and then a full babygro? What about when it comes to going home? Any ideas?

May sound a bit of a daft question but I am really not sure what to pack.

Thanks

Naetha Mon 08-Jun-09 10:08:42

Depends entirely on the day - on a coolish day (12-17 degrees) I'd say a vest and a babygro, on a warmer day, I'd say just a babygro. If it's 22-23degrees plus, I'd say just a vest, but just see how it goes. Make sure you check the chest to see how warm s/he is.

MiaMamma Mon 08-Jun-09 10:35:59

With my DD coming home from hospital was quite warm summer day and she wore sleepsuit and a hat, first days they still need to be quite wrapped up. Now having my DS in July, so planning to pack for him (for coming home) short sleeved bodysuit, sleepsuit and a little cardigan just in case. Even if the weather is hot, you might be going home later in the day when it's cooled down. And you have some options and don't have to worry about not having enough layers for him/her.

mumface Mon 08-Jun-09 10:45:32

I am also due in 4 weeks.Am packing 6 vests,6 sleepsuits 2 hats and a jacket for baby.
My first son was born in June and it was a boiling hat day.At the hospital they insisted he wore a vest, long sleeved sleepsuit(got advised to change short sleeved one) and a hat at all times.Even though the ward was really warm.

babyblue3 Mon 08-Jun-09 17:45:51

My lil man is due end of July, and I packed a long sleaved sleeper, hat and blanket. I figure if its hot, we can leave the blanket off, and if its cool, the blanket can be doubled over to keep him warmer. I am not bothering with a vest/undershirt. Not planning to be outside for very long anyway!

Milliemuffin Mon 08-Jun-09 18:18:54

It also depends how warm it is in your house, my boy was born in july and our bedroom was always around 24/25degrees so we just had him in a sleeveless vest & babygrow at night with a blanket over him (those were the days when he'd wake up in exactly the same position you left him in, not like now!!) or just vest & blanket during the day. I was really worried about him overheating so I went for the lesser is better option (a couple of nights just sleeveless vest & blanket) which may not be the recommended way but it's what I felt most comfortable with. He was happy and comfortable so so was I.

poppy34 Mon 08-Jun-09 18:26:50

Am with Millie muffin as dd born end of June and was in vests or little shorty all in ones with a blanket to swaddle then moved onto light grow bag. Was guided by her as she feels the heat like her father but would put little Cardigan or socks on if
She was cold. And she was always most under dressed of baby group

poppy34 Mon 08-Jun-09 18:27:57

Btw hospital layered her up in all the kit I had despite it being in the high 20s

poppy34 Mon 08-Jun-09 18:30:01

And good luck you guys- am getting all wistful over dd as newborn rather than the squirming DVD munching bundle on my lap now

littleducks Mon 08-Jun-09 18:34:42

I would pack vest and long sleeved babygrows and a blanket whch can be folded if it is chilly

I think vests are useful in hosp as if you have to wait for paedatrican check/vaccination/blood test then you have the baby there and ready (and dont panic with all the buttons when it finally is your turn) and babe doesnt get chilly

Take a hat, babies shouldnt really where one inside normally (SIDs advice) but sometimes a perfectly healthy baby may have a slightly low temp and the midwife will ask for a hat to put on

The sleepsuits with fold over hands (next?)are quite useful, far more so than scratch mits but def arent an essential

littleducks Mon 08-Jun-09 18:37:13

Take a muslin or two definately

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now