Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

do i dye my hair in 1st trimester?? any advice appreciated!!

(4 Posts)
winjy Sun 07-Jun-09 18:55:29

hello!! currently 4-5 weeks preg...hair desperately needs dying but is it safe? usually use shop dyes

spicemonster Sun 07-Jun-09 18:58:21

No real evidence to suggest that it is dangerous as far as I know. I'd do it if I were you (but I am very vain and since I discovered people thought my hair was naturally the colour it is, never allow myself to get roots )

NaiveNewbie Sun 07-Jun-09 19:14:11

I am 5 weeks pg today and I dyed my hair yesterday. I also worried about whether it was safe but I cannot find a scrap of evidence that it is harmful. I use Root Touch-Up (to cover greys!) and only put it around my hairline and parting this time - so only a small amount used (I think less than half the amount in the pack). I'm really vain about my greys and would be mortified if people discovered them - I've been hiding them for years! You can't give up everything when pregnant or life would be pretty miserable.

I think a lot of the things we are told to be cautious about in pregnancy are simply things which are "un-tested on pregnant women" so that's why no-one's ever going to say, sure go ahead it's completely safe. They don't know one way or another. You have to use your own judgement I guess.

Squarah Sun 07-Jun-09 19:19:16

It's absolutely fine - your hair is dead protein just like nails so can't absorb anything nasty. I'm in my first trim and planning to get mine done soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now