Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and BV?

(14 Posts)
pinksofa Mon 09-May-05 19:41:52

i have a history of BV, never had thrush, and think that it is back
any advice, v worried as it is supposed to be associated with increased risk of mc
also any alternative remedies instead of heavy duty antibiotice which i would rather not take

dejags Mon 09-May-05 19:47:58

sorry to sound stupid Pinksofa, but whats BV?

pinksofa Mon 09-May-05 19:50:40

bacterial vaginosis, it is not a std you can just get it out of the blue like thrush,
should have explained,

dejags Mon 09-May-05 19:54:47

Sorry but I have no idea. Might be a good idea to talk to your doctor or midwife (can't tell if you are pregnant from your posting).

HTH

pinksofa Mon 09-May-05 20:06:57

thanks dejags kind of you to read, yes i am pregnant about 6weeks

AngelCakeUmm Mon 09-May-05 20:08:33

Pinksofa sorry i have never heard of it but i wish you well and think you should go and see your doctor to find out what you can do

pinksofa Mon 09-May-05 20:24:03

thanks angelcake, anyone had this whilst pregnant?

CharBell Mon 09-May-05 20:54:02

Yip. Had it a couple of weeks ago. Found out via swab (am 32 weeks). Dr gave me low dose antibiotices. Risk to baby is very low for this dose of antibiotics and risk of stillbirth is very very low (low than other infections.)

Deep joy - because antiobiotics appears to have given me thrush (of the cottage cheese but no itching vairety) so have left it for a week to see if it goes away by itself. Not sure what to do. Might mention it to midwife tomorrow but she always seems a bit 'make it up' rather than medical

pinksofa Tue 10-May-05 05:56:12

thanks Charbell, will see Dr today

SoupDragon Tue 10-May-05 08:19:00

Pinksofa, let me introduce you to eldestgirl. Two BV threads in less than 24 hours...

eldestgirl Tue 10-May-05 13:16:23

Hi Pinksofa,
I have had BV since March and have been told I should clear it up before trying for no 3. Easier said than done after a 14 day course of pessaries (probably not an option for you) and then a 14 day course of metronizadole antibiotics. I have now been given a 7 day course of Clindamycin.
As I am getting incredibly fed up with this (although thankfully it seems to be asymptomatic) I am also going to try live yoghurt on tampons for a while. Sorry, I don't think you can't try this either. However, on the basis that BV results from an imbalance in the 3 main cultures in the vagina (yeast, bacteria and lactobacillus), thrush being caused by a yeast imbalance, it seems that thing thing to do is to try to increase the lactobacillus presence, as that evens the other two out. I know you can get concentrated lactobacillus tablets in health shops. There's one you can take dissolved in water called Lactobac which is supposed to be really good and I'm pretty sure it's safe in pregnancy, as it's like eating tons of live yoghurt. My doctor prefers not to treat BV in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, for obvious reasons, but some doctors think it's better to treat it straight away.
Sorry but this is all I can come up with! Maybe someone else has experience of this??

CharBell Tue 10-May-05 17:21:46

Oh my god! So my cottage cheese might still be BV and not thrush. Arses.

pinksofa Tue 10-May-05 17:38:29

saw my gp today and has prescribed amoxycillin and have decided to now take, put a post up about amoxycillin and no one seems to know about it so hope my gp is right in that it is fine for babe

held out all day popping lactobacillus but feel too uncomfortable and worried that if it does not clear up i may loose the baby

good luck with to you too eldestgirl, how many weeks are you

eldestgirl Wed 11-May-05 05:30:09

Hi Pinksofa,
I am not currently pg as when I went for a smear test before trying for another baby last November, it came up with Candida, so I was told to try to clear that before getting pg. Went for a check up swab in March and that came back with BV. Two further tests confirm still got BV so still putting off getting pg.
I'm sure your GP would not prescribe anything which could harm your baby. I hope you clear it this time. Maybe keep taking the lactobacillus to try to establish a new balance once the antibiotics have done their work...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now