Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hormones not quite doubled in 48hours...really worried this is my 1st can you help!!

(30 Posts)
winjy Fri 05-Jun-09 18:55:12

Im 4 weeks pregnant and they've done hormone tests on me this week purely as a precaution and I wish they hadn't bothered now coz Im worried sick. My doctor just phoned me and said that she may be splitting hairs but my hormones havent quite doubled in the 48hour period and they want me to go back monday. Has anyone else had this....really need some reassurance

xxxxx

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Sat 06-Jun-09 09:26:05

Not experienced this but I have heard of people that haven't quit had the levels double. V unusual for them to test this so early. I do feel the more tests done (unless good reason) the more worry and stress created.
Good luck!

BigTeuchLittleTeuch Sat 06-Jun-09 09:31:56

Hi Winjy, first of all congratulations on your pregnancy! d

Did they tell you why they thought the tests were necessary?

This may be of interest - it states that the doubling happens every 2-3 days.

Good luck!

Gromit78 Sat 06-Jun-09 09:53:51

Don't worry if your hormone levels are a bit low. As far as I know it is quite easy to treat. Pretty much every hormone the body produces can be recreated and you just need to take the relevant medication.

I once knew a girl who was born without a purity (sp) gland which produces many hormones, but she is just on a rigid hormone replacement treatment and all seems fine and dandy. It may mean that you will have to have extra blood tests in your pregnancy though.

winjy Sat 06-Jun-09 19:14:20

hi guys!! well according to my dates im 6-7 weeks pregnant and my boobs are huge already so my doctor sent me for a dating scan thinking i may be further than i thought coz i conceived on the pill. the sonographer put me at 4 weeks as she could only see the pregnancy sac so the doctor did hormone tests to "put my mind at rest"!! it has had the opposite effect however. got to go back monday for more to see if they've doubled this time. feeling more positive tho coz boobs really sore, really tired and other symptoms so hormones must be quite strong. interesting to know doubling happens 2-3 days coz mine were only 2 days apart and had nearly doubled. wish i wasnt such a worrier sometimes!!

TotalChaos Sat 06-Jun-09 19:20:49

I had similar happen to me (except my HCG levels were nowhere near doubling, more like went up by 30% in 48 hours, and the PG was fine, it was just one of those things). Best wishes for the appointment on Monday.

lisad123 Sat 06-Jun-09 19:23:41

happened to me with dd1, but i was further along than we thought. Hope all is well, but as long as its rasing i wouldnt worry yet.

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Sat 06-Jun-09 19:27:35

Good luck for Monday winjy!

winjy Mon 08-Jun-09 09:47:47

hi guys been for bloods this morning just got to wait for results now...had pinky discharge this morning too so im really worried about that but i have appoinment with doc at 1025 so hopefully she'll shed some light and reassure me...yeah right!! contemplating whether or not to go into work today...feeling very low and stressed, and not many people in work know so they wouldnt understand...feeling sick, not sure uf its reassuring or something else to worry about!! how is everyone else??

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Mon 08-Jun-09 09:59:04

winjy - hope all goes well today. I really think that whatever happens today, there's nothing to be achieved by you going into work. You've got enough going on so give yourself a break.

winjy Mon 08-Jun-09 11:27:40

seshasfinallybecomeamum - i am taking the day off. i saw doc, she said i have to wait until this evening for my hormone results and to go from there. she will only be concerned if they're not over 10,000, they were 6,000 on fri which she said is high for how far i am. feeling nauseous too which im taking as a good sign, and my boobs are unbearably painful which is also a good sign. no more spotting yet, just gotta wait for results tonight. just going to relax at home. how are you...are u pregnant?

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Mon 08-Jun-09 11:30:04

Thanks for the update - sounds v promising

I have a 4wk DS and had a few problems getting pg but it's all so worth it!

winjy Mon 08-Jun-09 15:14:39

i am not cut out for this waiting game at all...will let u know when i get results. im new too all this so was hoping u could enlighten me on the abbreviations DS DP DH?? im getting very confused even tho i know what u mean! do u have any other children or is it your first?

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Mon 08-Jun-09 15:41:45

I do feel for you with the waiting. Hang om in there...

If you click on "useful stuff" at the top of the page it will bring up a list and one of the things is "acronym list". That'll give you most of the abbreviations. For a start though:
DH - darling husband
DP - darling partner
DS - darling son
DD - darling daughter

DS is my first child and although it's a steep learning curve, I'm loving it

Good luck with your results - will keep an eye out for your update.

LobstersLass Mon 08-Jun-09 20:46:04

Fingers crossed for you winjy.

winjy Mon 08-Jun-09 20:48:51

oh god thanks lobster

but im soooo angry angry my doctor has forgotten to ring me about results so im now left in limbo...will have to see if i can get appointment tomorrow....another one!!

hows everyone?

LobstersLass Mon 08-Jun-09 21:55:23

Forgot to phone you?! That's a disgrace.

Try to stay calm, worrying won't do you any good at all. Easier said than done I know.

winjy Tue 09-Jun-09 09:00:41

she ust phoned me, they've only gone up from 6,000 to 9,000 since fri so been referred to hospital now, got to go this morning at 9:45...so scared. keep your fingers crossed for me

winjy Tue 09-Jun-09 09:00:41

she ust phoned me, they've only gone up from 6,000 to 9,000 since fri so been referred to hospital now, got to go this morning at 9:45...so scared. keep your fingers crossed for me

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Tue 09-Jun-09 09:06:16

winjy - so angry that they didn't phone you yesterday. So sorry you still don't have a definite answer but I'm keeping everything crossed for you. It is still possible that everything is fine but the not knowing is really tough.
Sending you a sneaky hug...

winjy Tue 09-Jun-09 11:52:24

thank you..but im feeling a million times worse now. had a scan this morning they said sac is elongated which could suggest ectopic and its empty when it shouldnt be at this stage. if its still empty in a week then the pregnancy will either terminate itself or il need some help...so upset and frustrated...my friend is pregnant and doesnt want to be, is smoking 30 fags a day and getting legless at weekends its so unfair. iv done everything by the book and looked after myself. sorry to be so self absorbed...hope ur having a better day than me...thanks for much needed hug!

SesHasFinallyBecomeAMum Tue 09-Jun-09 12:02:33

Oh no! Another hug heading your way. All is not lost yet but a week of waiting is no fun.

I do know a little of what you're going through as I had 2 missed mc last year and the second one involved a lot of uncertainty and waiting around. At the time, there were 4 other pregnancies in my workplace which all seemed to have happened so easy.

This by no means that you will get bad news though - all situations are different.

Keep posting and feel free to vent and offload.

TotalChaos Tue 09-Jun-09 16:51:51

sorry that the results and scan have not helped ease your mind, best wishes for the next week or so till you find out more. It's a horrible limbo period I know.

mowmi Tue 09-Jun-09 17:15:40

Winjy - I'm so sorry you're going through this, I've been there and I know how tough it is.
I recently went for a scan at what I thought was 6 weeks only to be told it was empty and they were going to date me at 5+3.
The exact same thing happened to me in January which turned into a mmc.
I went back for another scan 6 days later and there was the yolk sac, embryo and heartbeat clear as day!!
I hope you have a similar outcome x

winjy Tue 09-Jun-09 18:41:50

thanks mowmi thats amazing...i hope my situation turns out the same too i really do but in the meantime i think im at high risk of going insane! so u didnt have a mc then? its amazing what difference 6 days can make...just got to wait til my scan on tues...hopefully nothing will happen in the meantime...iv been having brown discharge all day (tmi sorry blush) have u heard of this with successful pg?

thanks xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now