Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

possible polyhydrominos - any experiences/advice you can share please?

(8 Posts)
olivo Fri 05-Jun-09 16:33:47

just been for my 28 week check and am measuring big. have been referred to hospital ante natal clinc, for probable scan next week. on my notes, its questioning
polyhydrominos.
i've googled, bad idea. anyone know anything about it, had it, etc who can reassure me a bit?
thanks.

olivo Fri 05-Jun-09 19:11:17

bump for the evening crowd

mrsboogie Fri 05-Jun-09 19:19:17

well, I had it because I had GD (gestational diabetes). I don't know what other causes it might have cos I didn't need to google it.
The only problem with it was I was told I should be in hospital when my waters went as a lot of fluid whooshing out can be a problem. But I was being induced early anyway so that wasn't an issue.

Sorry that's not very helpful is it? hmm

olivo Fri 05-Jun-09 19:27:03

it is helpful, mrs boogie, thanks. i wondered about gd - would it show in my urine, do you know, or just in bloods? my sister had it twice so maybe its a family thing.
i am so nervous now, and people's comments about my size dont help.sad

FabulousBakerGirl Fri 05-Jun-09 19:27:27

I had it but didn't know it until after the birth. I had an emergency section at 38 weeks.

Keep an eye on movements and go for monitoring if there is any change in the baby's movements.

olivo Fri 05-Jun-09 19:35:49

thanks FBG. i will keep an eye on movements.

dottyaboutstripes Sat 06-Jun-09 13:06:37

I had it with my latest pg (baby is now 9 days old) I was tested for GD but was negative, it seems it was just one of those things....the problem is that there is a risk of cord prolapse and also of placental abruption when your waters go. My baby was also breech and in the end I had a section as it was just the safest option. From what I believe though, the majority of ladies diagnosed with this end up with a normal fluid level by the end of the pregnancy. If not, they like to induce so that they can do a controlled ARM and avoid the possible probs. If you are diagnosed with it, you'll prob have several scans (I was diagnosed at 34 weeks and had scans again at 35, 37 and 39 weeks.......unfortunately for me, my levels rose!)

olivo Sat 06-Jun-09 20:41:16

thanks dotty. there is a possibilty i would have a cs anyway following a previous em cs and traumatic time (i actually want one, they were not keen but maybe will be now?) It's reassuring to hear it often becomes normal.
by the way, congratulations on your new little one!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now