Talk

Advanced search

Please remind me about herpes simplex and contracting it for the first time in late pregnancy

(6 Posts)
LeninGrad Fri 05-Jun-09 15:23:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rasputin Fri 05-Jun-09 16:09:45

LeninGrad Fri 05-Jun-09 16:24:09

duzida Fri 05-Jun-09 16:37:14

there was this very sad case last year:

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1081076/Did-I-kill-baby-kiss-How-anguished-mother-didnt-discover- danger-common-cold-sore-virus-late-.html

ignore the fact that it's in the DM, which does love scary health stories - it is a very very rare problem and the parents involved were very unlucky, but it did happen to them, and they are very keen that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

I would seek advice from GP/midwife on what precautions to take in the weeks ahead - maybe you can be tested for antibodies, as you may have them, even if you dont' remember ever having a coldsore in the past? in which case you could probably stop worrying, as your baby should be protected too (I'm not a doctor so don't take my word for it!).

I would guess it is more of an issue if the baby doesn't have antibodies and comes into contact with somebody with a cold sore in its first few days and weeks, and not such an issue for you as a pregnant woman with 8-12 weeks to go, but definitely definitely get someone medical to give you advice, just in case it is a danger.

duzida Fri 05-Jun-09 16:42:45

p.s. if you've been together that long and it's not DP's first coldsore, I would guess you probably do have the antibodies, even if you don't get coldsores yourself - but I would still get it checked out!

LeninGrad Fri 05-Jun-09 16:49:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now