Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

god, i feel awful, should i drag myself out to get blood tests done anyway?

(6 Posts)
totalmisfit Fri 05-Jun-09 11:32:20

i'm nearly 7 weeks pregnant, and just constantly nauseaus. saw midwife on tuesday, she gave me a load of bits of paper for blood tests and said 'you have to get these done asap.' trouble is, i've been feeling like absolute shit ever since. I'm at home looking after dd (3.3) and that's currently using up every spare ounce of energy i have. We're in a rural setting and it's a 45 minute walk to the clinic which i just physically can't do right now. Besides that i'm just not feeling well enough to face needles and blood and everything. I know i need to get them done as it's important for me and the baby, but i just can't face it. Trouble is, i have no idea how long i'm going to go on feeling this way and when i will be able to face it..

does anyone know at how many weeks the first lot of blood-tests are usually taken? my first pregancy seems to have faded into a haze and i can't remember much about the early weeks. obviously i don't want to leave it too long but i literally feel like i'm about to throw up 80% of the day. hope i don't sound like too much of a wimp!

tutu100 Fri 05-Jun-09 11:37:37

I didn't have my booking in appointment with ds2 until I was 13 weeks and had my bloods done then, so I think you will probably be ok to wait a bit. Was your midwife not able to d o them then? Mine did.

tutu100 Fri 05-Jun-09 11:39:03

And you don't sound like a wimp. With ds1 the midwife couldn't get blood at my 15 week check and so asked if I could go to the hospital. I was 20 weeks before I felt well enough to do that (I had hyperemesis and was vomiting a lot).

blondissimo Fri 05-Jun-09 11:40:40

Really feel for you - I had horrendous all day sickness with my ds, but I was lucky that it was bad enough for me to get signed off work, so could stay at home vomiting to my hearts content and watching daytime tv. I was also fortunate to have only a 5 min car journey to the doctors. If I was you I would feel exactly the same.
I can't remember when the bloods are taken but I do remember something about them having to be done after a certain date, not before.
Perhaps call the surgery and explain your situation, lay it on a bit thick.
Hope you feel better soon.

totalmisfit Fri 05-Jun-09 11:44:38

tutu- she did offer but i was feeling like i was about to pass out and dd was going loopy, throwing toys about and trying to bite me every time i spoke to the midwife, so i politely declined. feel a bit better knowing i've probably got some time to play with.

blondissimo - i think i'd feel better if i could actually be sick. i just feel permanantly on the edge of throwing up. now i have to go and make dd some lunch, urgh!

slushy06 Fri 05-Jun-09 16:33:16

I had first bloods at 12 weeks on this pg as a normal uncomplicated pg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now