Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

History of pre-eclampsia, how often do I need checks?

(16 Posts)
lazylion Fri 05-Jun-09 11:06:36

This is my third pregnancy and I'm nearly 26 weeks. In my first pregnancy I developed pre-eclampsia and the baby was born full term at only 4lbs. I know there is a risk of this happening again but I only have midwife or hospital appointments scheduled for every 5 weeks up to my due date (25 weeks, 30 weeks, 35 weeks, c-section at 38 weeks). For anyone that knows anything about this - should I be having my blood pressure etc checked more frequently than this?

Wheelybug Fri 05-Jun-09 11:10:05

I had pre-eclampsia in first pregnancy and in my second had regular scans and checks. Towards the end I was being seen weekly (not scan but other checks).

Was your second pregnancy ok ? Maybe that's why ?

seeker Fri 05-Jun-09 11:10:44

My bp went up in my first pregnancy, and my midwife gave me those dip stick things so that I could test my pee for protein every morning. In my second pregnancy, I asked for them and used them every day from the beginning. It helped me feel in control. I also had my blood pressure checked weekly once it started to go up, and once or twice more often when it was unexpectedly higher.

Hopte this helps - I think you should be checked more frequently than every 5 weeks.

lisad123 Fri 05-Jun-09 11:15:00

I had pe in first pregancny and I was seen 4 weekly at the hospital upto 28 weeks and then was fortnightly then weekly. I had a montoir at home, £10 from chemist and mw gaveme stick things, but if i had any worries or felt odd, i just called mw. hth

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 05-Jun-09 11:15:23

I had pore eclampsia in both my pregancies and had my blood pressure checked weeekly from about 30 weeks. I then had it done daily from 32 weeks as I temporarily lost my sight in one eye. had this not happen I guess it would have carried on weekly.
I had the first growth scan at 32 weeks and I then had them weekly although I thin k hiow regularly you have these depe3nds on the results of each one iyswim.
I also bought myself an electric blood pressure monitor from lloyds for about £10, not very accurate but gives you an idea of what is going on.

lazylion Fri 05-Jun-09 19:56:45

Thanks all of you. Every 5 weeks now looks very wrong, I had my suspicions that my midwife was rubbish. Looks like I'm going to have to be more pushy.

artichokes Fri 05-Jun-09 20:00:33

But how was your second preg? I had PE in my first preg, was fine in my second (during which I was closely monitored) and have been told that if I have a third I will not need close monitoring again.

mummytopebs Fri 05-Jun-09 20:17:24

I am pregnant with my 2nd baby and had pre-eclampsia in my 1st pregnancy. I was just wondering from how many weeks they start to check for it?

lazylion Fri 05-Jun-09 21:12:29

artichokes - second pregnancy was fine, maybe that is why the midwife has put me at low risk. But I'm having growth scans at the hospital so clearly I'm not considered so low risk by my consultant. Would you be happy not to be closely monitored for your third? I'm starting to get worried as I go into third trimester.
mummytopebs - I had frequent bp checks and growth scans in my second pregnancy from about 25 weeks but I think it depends on when your PE started in your previous pregnancy, the theory is that if you get it again it should be later than the first time.

jaffacakeaddict Sun 07-Jun-09 16:16:18

I also had PE in my first pregnancy. I didn't have PE in my second pregnancy but was pretty nervous about it. I contacted APEC who are a charity dedicated to informing and educating people about pre eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. THey will be able to give you up to date information regarding the level of checks you should be getting. There are also PRECOG guidelines that most Trusts adhere to and which state when you should be regarded as being at higher risk of developing PE and the action that should be taken. I found that the midwives were not willing to agree to a higher than usual level of appointments. However, I asked to be referred to a consultant because I had PE in a previous pregnancy and he agreed that it was reasonable for me to be seen weekly from the point that the PE had developed the first time. The midwives were obliged to follow the treatment plan that he drew up. There is also another website that you may find helpful. If you google PE Support you'll get a link to a forum which is managed by Liz. She is very, very knowledgeable and will be more than happy to help you with info. My albeit limited understanding is that the fact that your last pregnancy was normal will lower your risk of developing PE again, but will not reduce it to the level that it would be if you'd never experienced it. Hope that makes sense!

lazylion Sun 07-Jun-09 16:30:56

Thanks jaffacake, I'll have a look.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 07-Jun-09 16:33:28

Lazylion - I had PET in both pregnancies. I bought a home BP monitor from Amazon and self monitored (after 30 weeks it had to be daily because I developed it quite early). Still ended up in hospital for a month before DS was delivered by CS but ho hum.

If you had no recurrence in your second pregnancy I believe the risks are the same as if you'd never had it though

You might wish to go to consultant care though if you are concerned

jaffacakeaddict Sun 07-Jun-09 21:47:55

Sorry - reference in post above should have been to "pre eclampsia support".

glimmer Thu 11-Jun-09 21:02:08

Hi Lazy,
I agree with everything that has been said.
I would ask GP or midwife for a referral to a consultant to draft a plan. Much better to have unnecessary appointments than to miss necessary ones IYKWIM. All the best.

alison6692 Thu 11-Jun-09 22:00:50

I was told that having PE shouldn't mean you are more likely to get it again. so my MW said I wouldn't have any more appointments, etc. Although I am consultant led this time.

quirkychick Fri 12-Jun-09 11:49:29

I had severe PE late in 1st pg. Am 8 wks pg now. My gp referred me to consultant antenatal team at 6 wks. They told me they will see me again after 20wk scan and I will have a small baby scan at 28wks. I suppose what they do after that will depend on what happens at 20 and 28 wks. They told me I had a less than 20% chance of recurring. Might have been because it was severe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now